SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

Boat Project

31 May 2012 | Solomons, MD
Nice cool north wind
BOAT PROJECT
May 31, 2012

Wow, last day of May 2012. How the time has passed mostly fast. I would bet Bear would argue a bit about how fast time flies when recovering from back surgery. In that department, we still have some time to go. So, here we are in Solomons, MD, a place only in our dreams 28 months ago when we left Port Aransas, Texas. Since we have chosen to stay here a while, “the list” starts to show up in my alleged mind. One has to be dutiful to the ship, ya know and the list is impressive. Since Scurv is not yet able to assist in resolution of the list items, it falls on me, the bilge coolie, to get-r-done. One item on the list is the swim deck renovation, to wit, replacing the teak inserts thereon. I failed to care for the originals to the extent that they are beyond mere maintenance. One of the benefits of owing a production boat like the 411 is that parts are easy to obtain, even for our early hull number. Since Beneteau built more or less about 1,400 of this model, even items like the specialty teak inserts are available, for a price. Most other parts, if purchased through Beneteau are less expensive than through the discount supply houses. That said, I called Beneteau thinking the inserts would be “all gone” by now. Not so. They made the set for us on order. I sort of hate to take them out of the box they are so nice. Ok, so today is the day to rip up the old and install the new. It should take no more than a few hours for each of the three. Yeah, right. I am inspired today to do this since she is in company of some really spiffy looking boats in this marina. After all, she has her standards. After this task, I still have several major items on the list such as installing a new mast light (requiring some significant weight loss on the part of the writer so I can haul my chubby butt up the mast), install a new inverter, replace the forward head, wax the hull and topsides, etc. Better get on it before it gets too hot. So much for the steaming cup of coffee in the cockpit at dawn.
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.