SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

Challenge Met

22 September 2012 | Solomons, MD
Perfect Fall Day
CHALLENGE MET
September 22, 2012
Ok, so one near death experience a cruise is one too many. Bear’s broken ribs gave us one heck of a scare and we don’t need any more of those. Now that she has escaped the jaws of the afterlife, at least for a while, we can continue with Phase VIII. We used to be somewhat bullet proof but somewhere in the years we lost the cape and the mask. Toughness is not the word for Bear’s tolerance of all those broken ribs but we did learn that perhaps a cautionary visit to a doctor when one endures a broom induced fall is wise. That said, it is time to put that entry in the log book and move on.
Ha Ha, I beat Scurv awake this morning and that meant no ear wash by him. As has been the case the past few days, the morning was still and quiet, very quiet. This marina will silence a slapping halyard so quiet is a good description. Picture a 400 slip marina with no slapping halyards. For a Saturday, there are very few boats moving. In fact, post Labor Day, things start to wind down big time. The fall feeling is in the air. I am guessing that when the Annapolis Sail Show is done in a couple of weeks, things will get very quiet. There are a few Bay locals on the annual round the Bay cruise but most of the traffic is the early south bounders. Folks are talking about heading to points south just as the birds are spending way more time looking that way.
We have a number of geese in the area now. They are beautiful birds that have tendency to hang out in large numbers. As such they pose problems not the least of which is the fact that they are filthy critters so far as the necessities. Scurv sort of like is but then again, he liked deer droppings too. Bright green teeth is a dead giveaway. Therein is the challenge of the morning walk.
Part of the new “plan ahead” demands are anticipating challenges in a cold area for living on a boat. As with most marinas, regulations restrict the number of “live aboards” and since we will technically be that, we will be in short company this winter. One fellow that has spent ten winters here offered some advice as to stuff that will come in handy. For instance, he suggested we acquire an avalanche shovel. WHAT! It is a small back pack type shovel that is used to clear snow from deck if needed. Hopefully, El Nino or La Nina whichever is the good one will prevent a nasty winter here. Otherwise, we may have visions of the sub sticking up through the Artic ice as in the movie Ice Station Zebra.
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.