SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

The Plunge

06 January 2013
THE PLUNGE
January 5, 2013

It all started with the few scenes in a movie I must have watched 10 times: White Squall. It is not just a sailing movie but a study in the development of leaders. Aside from that is a remarkable almost subliminal message about the absolute beauty of a boat at sea. In the right circumstances, of which very few of us have the privilege of ever witnessing, one can sense the essence of what calls us to sea. I speak of the scenes of the Brigantine Albatross when, under a full sail set, she is in sea rollers about 15 to 20 feet as she rises on the wave then plunges almost poetically into the trough. The spray off her bow is not that of a race boat or a fast ship but one of a heavy, well found sea boat ready to take whatever Mom has to offer. Even in those seas, where most cruisers would don life jackets and unship the EPIRB, her crew went about normal life. More than that, they gave her leave to run before as a free spirit. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to have experienced lively sea would, I think, admit that the first time is scary and the right swell set is rare. Only those crews that have dealt with high seas truly appreciate the long smooth rollers shown in the movie. The crew of Why Knot is not, by any measure well seasoned but we have been in lively water, not in a heavy sea boat but in a light, lively boat capable of delivering us to a safe port if we can hang on. Once in a while, but only once in a while have we had the chance to ride live water with little concern and enjoy it deeply. I would say it has happened maybe a half dozen times when Why Knot hooked up on the right period sea and had a “bone in her teeth”. She pushed aside the bow wave with the gusto of a like a happy puppy with a bone. On the encounter with the face of the wave, she rose quickly to climb to the top. Coming back from the Abacos during a squall, we saw waves in the high teens. Some were far enough apart to give us the sensation of a slow climb to the top. Most were steep and very uncomfortable but we had a few good one. Perhaps the best example for us was the return from Isla Lobos, Mexico. For two days we ran before a 25 knot wind in what was more like large, lumbering swells. They were far apart and had no steep sides. I found myself looking forward to the climb. Once there, the wave rolled under us and she started down the back side like a kid on a slide. She started her plunge to the trough. The knot meter would spin upward and few times we hit double digit speeds. That plunge, to a hopeless romantic old man, was a trip to the earliest sailing days where I could almost see a long bowsprit about to stab Mother’s new wave. Time and again I thought about the fact that my watch was over yet I could not let go of the wheel. I could not share the wheel with anyone. I was riding a good boat in a rare combinations of wind and sea. I only wish I could have jumped ahead a hundred yards to see the bone in her teeth. I wish I could have captured those moments for others. I wish I could have shared that moment with my Dad. To me, the scenes in the movie, not the knock down and sinking but the earlier scene as she left the islands with the new crew captured the rare experience of what drags my soul time and again back to thoughts of the sea. I am fortunate that my mate shares the same sense of that reward and as long as things are relatively under control, she is right there in the dream.


Ok Bligh, step away from the computer and get back on the home project.
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.