SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

Chesapeake City to Cape May

05 June 2013
Chesapeake City to Cape May
June 5, 2013
Today started at 0400 with a planned very early departure from the anchorage at Chesapeake City to Cape May, New Jersey. It was a very long day and knowing that made it important to wake early to catch the current in the C & D Canal and some additional current on ebb tide down the Delaware River to Delaware Bay and Cape May. Thus, time and tide controlled our day. However, back to Chesapeake City where there is a small pond that doubles as an anchorage. There were six boats in that small spot last evening but it worked. It also helped that very nearby was access to ½-pound cheeseburgers and pizza. The intriguing thing was the size of the restaurant. It was large and there were no spare tables outside. That cheeseburger was fine.
It took twelve and one half hours to mostly motor (as usual against the wind) to Cape May. Once there, one cannot simply head into the jetties. There are serious shoals guarding the approach from the river out to about three miles. That meant that we sailed almost around the place before getting to the jetties. It took about three hours from the time we saw Cape May until we entered the harbor. The good part was that most of that was in the Atlantic. For the first time in almost a year, we saw green water without stuff in it. We saw dolphins, which reminded us of Port A. Cape May is a stopping point for transients heading up and down the coast as well as into the Chesapeake via the Delaware and C&D.
We have been sailing with two other boats since leaving the Solomons. As of tomorrow, one will be leaving ahead of us and the other will catch up in a day or two. They stopped in a different place tonight. That is how it works so there are hellos and good byes all the time. All three boats are heading to the Long Island Sound and beyond so we will stay in touch and see them again. We might stay here for a few days to let bad weather pass. That means Scurv will get a few chances to roam around and meet new critters. He did not get much time ashore last evening and that is just as well since there were about three dozen large geese just waiting for him ashore. More later because the crew of Why Knot is dawg tired and heading to the rack.
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.