SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

Time to Leave- Again

18 July 2013 | Kittery, ME
Time To Leave- Again
July 18, 2013
Having been here for over a week, we have visited several places inland. All of them were our first visits and yet we did not see all that we wanted. A rental car is something that ties us into the life on land to the degree that it would be easy to be stuck somewhere. As it happened this week, a record-breaking heat wave gripped the area and most of the days were hotter than in hometown in Texas. So much for the cool, foggy weather, we were told to expect. Guessing here that most houses in this area do not have air conditioners so the locals have been suffering.
We are in an area that was settled in the mid 1600s so many buildings are over two hundred years old and some over three hundred. It would be very easy to stick around here for an extended time, but we won’t. About the time we decide to leave fo r cooler anchorages, the weather is about to change and cool off. We have met some interesting locals and some passing cruising crews. We have been here long enough to know how to get around and where to do for stuff. That means we have been here too long. Our British friends have sailed beyond here and our Solomons, Md. Friends are past Bar Harbor heading to Nova Scotia. Notwithstanding them heading offshore at the end of August for the Caribbean Seas, we may see them again.
Since we decided to sail up the Maine coast some, we will leave here on Saturday, weather permitting, and sail toward Kennebunkport, Me where one of our most famous Texas residents has a summer home. More than likely we will not be invited for a visit so we will not bother stopping by for a howdy. Most of the Canadians we met along the way have already made it home and are now planning to head back south in a few weeks as will we. We do think we will take some extra time to visit some of the places we skipped on the way here. Of course, there are many variables in our thinking and now that we have had some time to rest, we are good to go back on the anchor for some time.
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.