SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

Fog

24 July 2013
Fog
July 24, 2013
Visibility was unlimited as we went to bed last evening. This morning offered up legendary Maine fog. This is not just fog, it is like being in milk. The masthead is not visible nor is the bow from the cockpit. There is no noise in this anchorage. We waited until noon to depart thinking that the fog was gone the way it was in the The Basin. Wrong! As we left the anchorage we could see a fog bank not a half mile from us and that is when we broke out the radar. Good thing since we spent the next four hours using it to avoid the rocks and other vessels. In other words, we were flying in the soup all day on the way to Boothbay, ME. What a historic place. Wait, that is the same status all over the Maine coast. This place has some ties to the Vikings who supposedly visited North America long before the Pilgrims. Anyway, here we are in Boothbay and the harbor is nice. On the way, we sailed through some close channels but did not see the land. We did see a small island that was covered with seals, spotted seals of about a hundred pounds range. We are now in the land of Puffins. I thought they are small birds. While we have not seen one yet, we are told they are hen size. So much for perceptions in lieu of observations.
We took a mooring in this place. We are not more than 40 yards from the docks so the trip to the facilities will not be a problem. Scurv will appreciate multiple land visits tomorrow. Not sure how long we will stay here but it will not exceed three days. Rockland Harbor is next then Southwest Harbor. Bear and I are both thinking more lobster tonight ashore. Scurv will have to enjoy his food and a bonus weenie. NO thumbs means no dinner ashore.
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.