SV Windsong

Adventure before dementia.

26 February 2024 | Ardrossan
09 August 2023
08 August 2023
07 August 2023
06 August 2023
04 August 2023
03 August 2023
02 August 2023
31 July 2023
30 July 2023
29 July 2023
28 July 2023
27 July 2023
26 July 2023
25 July 2023
24 July 2023
23 July 2023
22 July 2023

Quick move! The ferries coming!

01 September 2021 | Colonsay
Katrina Wright | Warm
Beautiful sunrise, yes, we were up way before the sunrise as the wind and waves were gaining momentum - the direction of the wind meant a very bumpy morning blowing directly into the bay.

We Blew up the dingy but once in the water when the boat was up the dingy was down and visa versa ! So we thought we would wait for the waves and wind to calm down, then the calmac ferry lady , arrived at the pier ( I said we were close to the pier !) and asked how long we expected to stay - 3pm Phil says, is that a problem, erm she said not looking too convincing, "I suppose you will be ok"
!!! Have you seen the size of those ferries!!! No chance! We were off, only 1 mile down the coast so we weren't too far away from Lucy's cafe which apparently does a mean breakfast (in a good way!)

So it was down with the anchor (picture also include Jura in the background, the mountains are called "the paps of Jura") and off the boat, thankfully much calmer here so I didn't need to demonstrate my triple barrel roll into the dingy, phew! I don't know what I'd do without Phil, his planning is amazing, always one step ahead and this place is paradise. So after a Scottish breakfast we were well and truly ready for our walk. We even overtook the cyclist who had just arrived from the ferry - it was close! The hills are not really hills but in this heat sometimes it's easier to walk. Once around a lake and up to a viewing area (trig point) then down to see some standing stones. Although it is a small island there is something about this place, I would definitely come back, big enough with a shop, brewery, cafe and hotel but small enough to enjoy the peace and solitude of this beautiful island.

Once back we decided to move, again! Further down to a small island (joined to Colonsay at low tide) called Oronsay ruins of a priory can be found on this relatively flat island and an abundance of wildlife. We were so tired that it was all we could do to drop anchor and have something to eat, I'm writing this while Phil takes a well deserved rest, tomorrow we will get in the dingy ready for our next adventure.

Picture is of windsong at anchor on our second anchorage on Colonsay.
Comments
Vessel Name: Windsong
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy 34
Hailing Port: Ardrossan
Crew: Phil Bamber, Katrina Wright
About:
Adventure before dementia! Our first experience on a sailing vessel was in 2016 and we were hooked, since then Phil has achieved his Yacht Master Offshore RYA qualification. [...]
Extra:
We were fortunate to have the opportunity to sail with a friend for 6 weeks around Scotland, Ireland, Scilly isles and the south coast. Since 2016 we have met some great people who have shared their experience, knowledge and yachts, sailing around the Outer and Inner Hebrides and around the [...]
Windsong's Photos - Main
Our sailing adventure in 2023
14 Photos
Created 18 May 2023