14 October 2018 | Aurora
I’m saddened to report that Blue has passed away. For those of you that have been reading our posts for a while will remember that she spent several days at the vets getting treated for kidney disease several weeks ago. When we took her in that time, she was in really bad shape but much better when we got her back. She seemed to recover and bounce back over the next week. Things started heading south though on Friday evening when she didn’t come down for food and didn’t spend the night with us on the bed as she normally did. Not wanting to take a chance, we called and made an appointment to see our vet yesterday for a check up and blood tests. In the end, we found out that the kidney disease had flared up again and she was in the process of crashing again. Not wanting her to have to suffer as some of our earlier cats had, I made the decision to have her euthanized, one of the hardest decisions I’ve had to make in a long time as she was pretty much my kitty. It took a while for it to be done but we brought her home one last time and she has joined three other cats that reside in our back yard. We both went through a ton of Kleenex. It was not what I expected to happen when we left the house several hours earlier.
To try and get my mind off what had just happened, we ventured back into the crawlspace off the basement to resolve a problem that’s been with us for years. When our home was built back in 1996, the main duct work under the house was covered in a blanket of insulation. Over the years, the tape that held it to the ducts failed and it dropped away from the duct and stopped doing its job. Over the years, we’ve tried different types of tapes, from plastic tape to duct tape to Tyvek tape that’s used on the outside of the house during construction to seal up the panels. Each lasted a while but in the end failed. Tracy had the bright idea to get some really long zip or cable ties and run them all the way around the ductwork to keep the insulation from falling again. I found some 48 inch ties at Home Depot and we went at it. It took between two and three ties each time to get all the way around the ducts but it worked just fine and now the insulation is firmly attached and doing its job.
Now all I have to do is get over the guilt I feel for what we did. It’s going to take some time but in the end, it wouldn’t have been fair to have her suffer as she would have.
The picture today is of Blue relaxing during one of the hot spells when we were on board.