Swagman Sailing

The racing & cruising adventures of Swagman, a Sparkman & Stephens designed 34ft yacht based in Perth, Western Australia.

09 February 2013 | Off Mandurah, Western Australia
27 June 2012 | Ballajura, Western Australia
13 June 2012 | Athens, Greece & Enroute Perth, Western Australia via Dubai, United Arab Emirates
12 June 2012 | Athens, Greece
11 June 2012 | Athens, Greece
10 June 2012 | Athens, Greece
09 June 2012 | Enroute Lefkada Town, Lefkada Island, SW Greece to Athens, Greece
08 June 2012 | Lefkada, Lefkada Island, Greece
07 June 2012 | Enroute Psarades, Prespa Region, Greece, to Lefkada Town, Lefkada Island, SW Greece
06 June 2012 | Psarades, Prespa Region, Greece
05 June 2012 | Enroute Thessaloniki, Greece to Psarades, Prespa Region, Greece
04 June 2012 | Travel Dubrovnik, Croatia to Thessaloniki, Greece via Frankfurt, Germany
03 June 2012 | Enroute Split to Dubrovnik, Croatia
02 June 2012 | Split, Croatia
01 June 2012 | Kastela Marina, Gomilica, Split Croatia
31 May 2012 | ACI Marina, Milna, Brac Island, Croatia
30 May 2012 | Vrboska, Hvar Island, Croatia

Day 3 in Greece - Psarades, Prespa Region, Greece

06 June 2012 | Psarades, Prespa Region, Greece
Andrew & Vera Waldby - Fine & Warm
Today we got up early in preparation to go out with Visilis on his boat for a tour of a couple of the local sights. However, the wind was in the NW and was making the opening to the inlet a bit too rough, so we said that we would try later in the day. So, we sat down to a nice outdoor breakfast in the morning sun, and let Visilis tell us about the local history and the sights. Germanos turned up a little later and said the wind was dropping, so we quickly got organised and went down to the docks and jumped on to the little boat. We went to two little monastries that are set up in the cliff walls of the Greek part of the bay. These had been refuges for the monks when different ethnic groups would try to get at them! We also went past two other little refuge monastries that are set in the cliff side, but you cant get to them easily from the water. There are also a number of frescos that people have carved into the rock walls along the water in memory or tribute to somebody.
As far as wildlife goes; birdlife is seriously prolific with pelicans, herons, sea birds, and many many more - everywhere. Seals can also been seen on the rocks at the right time of the year - although not at the moment. The area has also got a lot of land based wildlife; including wolves, wild cats (mountain ones - not domestic types) and brown bears. The brown bears regularly come down to the waters edge to fish, and I was on the look out to get a photo of some. Last week Visilis had got within about 5m's of a mother and 2 cubs; with the mother growling at him to stay away. However, this morning we were not lucky; probably too late in the day for them. Later in the day after we did some driving around, Visilis was out with some bird watchers and saw a mother and 2 cubs - bugger!! Anyway next time.
We went to the island in the middle of little Prespa Lake called Agios Achillios. There is a number of archealogical sights on the island, and when Vera was here last you had to be rowed out to it in a boat, but now there is a floating walkway all the way out; about a 5-7min walk. Sea snakes make their nests under the walkway, and on our way out we frightened a number into the water that were baking in the sun on the walkway deck. The island is quite hilly and you are only really following goat tracks between each of the sights. We probably walked about 3-5km's up and down. We had a light lunch at the taverna when we were finished. However, on the way our path was blocked once by a small herd of sheep, a number of cows which wouldn't let us pass until we moved aside, and a land turtle. Many of the archealogical sights have gone through different religious owners and get changed and changed again over the ages; as is the way with many sights in Greece and I suppose many other archealogical sights around the world.
After we finished on the island we went up to Agios Germanos which is where Visilis comes from and had a coffee at his brothers taverna. While we were there a number of local stray dogs came and sat by us. It is quite amazing in Greece the number of stray dogs; and when you think stray dogs you think small dogs - no not in Greece these guys are big dogs; German Sheperd crosses, Dobberman crosses, all sorts of big dog crosses. They seem to be pretty well fed as well. Visilis' brother ended up having to shoo them away, otherwise I suppose they just continually hang around one place. We also went to the little village near Agios Germanos called Millnos which is where Vera's Mum's Buba (grandmother) came from.
Psarades is about 800m above sea level, and Prespa Lake is freshwater. The mountains to the NW on the Albania side, which still have snow in some places, are over 2000m. Later in the day when we came back from the looking around the air was so clear, and the sky so blue with barely in clouds that you could see these mountain tops so very clearly.
After we had come back from our boat trip we went off driving around the area, basically going to the end of the roads through villages. Because of the closeness of this area to the Albanian border, there is quite a bit of police presence on the roads, and every now and then you get passed by a military armed personnel carrier. Even the local high speed police boat has an automatic machine gun mount on the bow.
When we got back to Psarades I chilled attempting to do some e-mailing and blog entries without much luck, while Vera went off walking around the village and along the inlet shore. She ended up walking out to the end of the inlet and to get around the outer point of the inlet she had to go through a cave, which seemed to have been grafitti'ed by people from Diamond Head (presumeably Hawaii). All the time thinking that what would she would do if she came across a brown bear. When she got back she said the Visilis that she sould probably just jump in the water; until he told her that they can swim quite well.
There are a number of natural springs in the area and the water is cold, clear and absolutely beautiful to drink.
Comments
Vessel Name: Swagman
Vessel Make/Model: Sparkman & Stephens 34
Hailing Port: Royal Perth Yacht Club, Perth, Western Australia
Crew: Andrew Waldby, Vera Waldby, Alysha Waldby, Brett Waldby
About: Vera - my wife since 2004.
Extra: Normal Moored Position: 31 59.0068'S 115 49.4535'E
Swagman's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 24 April 2011