Swallow's adventures

Vessel Name: Swallow
Vessel Make/Model: Barbican 33
Hailing Port: Premier marina, Gosport
Crew: Paul Young Carole Young
About: Paul's been sailing for over 20 years ; Carole has just completed her Day Skipper Practical . Been living aboard for 18 months.
Extra: Giving up our jobs and sailing off into the sunset!!! Here we go.................
Social:
26 May 2023 | Agios Nikolaus, Crete
26 May 2022 | Agios Nikolaus, Crete
14 April 2022 | Kalamata
22 March 2022 | Zante Port
22 March 2022 | Preveza
07 March 2022 | Parga
17 February 2022 | Orthoni
06 December 2019 | Santa Maria di Leuca
19 February 2019 | An evening in Marzamemi
19 February 2019 | Theatre at Segesta
19 February 2019 | Temple at Selinunte
19 February 2019 | Temple at Segesta
19 February 2019 | Sicily
12 January 2019 | Egadis
12 January 2019 | Sicily
27 July 2018 | Aeolian Islands
13 June 2018 | Tropea
Recent Blog Posts
26 May 2023 | Agios Nikolaus, Crete

Cruising the Cyclades Spring 2022- Part Three

NAXOS

03 June 2022 | Ios

Cruising the Cyclades Spring 2022- Part One Ios

Swallow has been safely hanging out at Agios Marina, Crete since June 2019 but various factors, including Covid, have prevented us from doing any cruising; all we've managed up until now is a few days anchoring in Elounda and a lively sail to Sitia last Autumn. However we did enjoy some land based sightseeing [...]

26 May 2022 | Agios Nikolaus, Crete

Kalamata to Crete

Kalamata to Crete (via Kithera)

14 April 2022 | Kalamata

Kalamata Winter 2018-9

At 0815 on Thursday 1st November 2018 we departed Koroni through the heat haze; the low lying mist all around was spooky. We were close hauled with only the main out, a pleasant but slightly chilly 15 miles passage. With only 3 miles to go we saw flying fish whilst a pair of old jets were soaring above [...]

A taste of Sardinia

24 October 2017 | Sardinia
Carole Young
As much as we would have liked to circumnavigate Sardinia time constraints and shorter weather windows would not allow it; we were booked into Gaeta on mainland Italy for October so we decided that we would head north and through the Bonifacio Straits. Firstly though we spent five days in Alghero due to organising the repair to our stanchion post and lifeline; the silver lining was that it was a lovely place and the insurance would be paying for our berth (Italy is more expensive than Spain and we had planned to be mainly anchoring).

Our first day in Alghero was occupied with sourcing a rigger to give us a quotation for the insurance company; after putting out a question on the Cruising Association forum we were recommended to go and see Roberto in Aquatica Marina. This guy was a CA rep. and called out SOS Nautica for us and also sorted a 20% discount on our berthing rate; the repair went smoothly, although we now have one stainless stanchion and the others are aluminium (you can only spot this on close inspection). As a bonus we made some nice new friends, Claire, Clive and their 8 year old son Oliver- they were on the boat moored next to us and were soon returning back to the UK after a summer adventure around Greece; they kindly gave us a few useful items that they wouldn’t be needing anymore, one of which was a wifi box as ours had decided to burn itself out! One of Paul’s old chandlery customers also turned up on Rum Truffle, Mark and Gina- they would be following us through the Straits but would then be heading straight for Greece; it’s always nice to meet up with fellow sailors to swop stories and tips; sometimes you can feel a little low not having your friends and family around you and meeting like-minded people always helps to lift your spirits. We also made a local ’friend’ who spends all day, every day hanging around the town quay chatting to the boat crews; I would recommend to anyone who moors here to go in bow to (as we generally do)- a lot more privacy.

Although the modern part of Alghero is a little shabby the old walled town, where we were moored, is charming; every evening we wandered around the cobbled streets admiring the old churches and towers and pottered around the little shops where coral jewellery (sourced locally) was in abundance; of course there are gelataries on every corner and Prosecco is plentiful- I am in heaven! There are so many restaurants to choose from here, we picked a tiny pizzeria overlooking the sea and sat outside watching the sunset- bellisimo!

On Monday 4th September 2017 we set off at 0930 for an anchorage on the north of the island, 36 miles away; we had a fantastic port beam reach with full sail for the first hour but after that the wind died and the engine had to go on and we rigged up a preventer for the main sail. Five hours in Paul had to top up the tank from our 20L reserve can as Alghero was all out of diesel- hopefully we’ll be able to get some in the next port. This coastline is beautiful with sheer, craggy cliffs of ochre and grey topped with green vegetation and backed with sloping hills. We were 9 miles from our destination and we noticed loads of seabirds chasing little fish who were trying to escape a shoal of tuna; there were loads of pot buoys a couple of miles out from the shore too. There was now only 2.5 m under the boat and we were heading through the very narrow Fornelli Passage which was well marked but a bit nail biting- you wouldn’t be wanting to go through here on a rough day! Once through here we noticed two anchored boats and so picked a spot in 4m of water; we were in between Isla Piana and Isola dell’Asinara, which has been a quarantine island, a POW camp and a Mafia prison and is now a national park. As soon as the anchor was set, at around 1700, we had a lovely, refreshing swim, the turquoise water was crystal clear and we could see the sandy bottom; a solitary dolphin was playing 200 metres away. Once again we witnessed an incredible sunset and then a full moon; it was an extremely still night. Strong winds had been forecasted for the next few days so the following, windless morning we set off for Castelsardo, 22 miles away; it’s hard to believe that it can blow a real hoolie through here but I’m sure we’ll witness it soon enough.

On approaching Castelsardo we saw a hilly, quaint fishing village, lined with multi-coloured houses and topped with a ruined castle- just like a picture postcard. Again we were guided in by a friendly marinaro and we were delighted to be told that our rate would be 15 euros per night. The medieval village inside the castle walls up on the hill was spectacular, rewarding to see after the steep walk up there; there were a few shops and restaurants scattered around the alleyways and women were sat in their doorways weaving baskets, it was like going back in time. Many of the old houses had been turned into holiday lets but many older locals still remain; it was so peaceful up there; the 13th century castle, church and bell tower are all worth a visit. The view out to sea from up there was incredible too. Rum Truffle caught up with us here and we had a great evening aboard with them.

We knew that we had to press on and tackle the Bonifacio Straits, unfortunately the weather here was untypically bad for September, so we knew that we would not be able to cruise the Maddalena Islands as we had originally planned; instead we decided to head over to Bonifacio on Corsica and then edge our way around the east coast of the French island before crossing over to the Italian mainland. So as soon as weather conditions allow we will be sadly leaving this beautiful island; hopefully we will return next year.
Comments
Swallow's Photos - Main
49 Photos
Created 15 April 2018
No Photos
Created 22 March 2018
72 Photos
Created 22 March 2018
24 Photos
Created 27 February 2018
15 Photos
Created 27 February 2018
3 Photos
Created 27 February 2018
30 Photos
Created 7 November 2017
27 Photos
Created 7 November 2017
15 Photos
Created 24 October 2017
30 Photos
Created 6 September 2017
13 Photos
Created 20 August 2017
37 Photos
Created 20 August 2017
14 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
10 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
15 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
20 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
11 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 18 August 2017
19 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
18 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
8 Photos
Created 12 June 2017
17 Photos
Created 23 April 2017
4 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 21 April 2017
Beautiful anchorage
10 Photos
Created 21 April 2017
24 Photos
Created 23 March 2017
51 Photos
Created 10 January 2017
31 Photos
Created 10 January 2017
27 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 14 November 2016
19 Photos
Created 14 November 2016
9 Photos
Created 13 November 2016
36 Photos
Created 4 November 2016
8 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
9 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
Day trip to Santiago de Compostella
11 Photos
Created 21 September 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 September 2016
10 Photos
Created 21 September 2016
13 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
20 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
14 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
20 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
14 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
7 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
10 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
10 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
6 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
15 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
7 Photos
Created 3 August 2016
10 Photos
Created 29 July 2016
4 Photos
Created 1 May 2016

About & Links

Photo Albums
15 April 2018
49 Photos
22 March 2018
No Photos