Swallow's adventures

Vessel Name: Swallow
Vessel Make/Model: Barbican 33
Hailing Port: Premier marina, Gosport
Crew: Paul Young Carole Young
About: Paul's been sailing for over 20 years ; Carole has just completed her Day Skipper Practical . Been living aboard for 18 months.
Extra: Giving up our jobs and sailing off into the sunset!!! Here we go.................
Social:
26 May 2023 | Agios Nikolaus, Crete
26 May 2022 | Agios Nikolaus, Crete
14 April 2022 | Kalamata
22 March 2022 | Zante Port
22 March 2022 | Preveza
07 March 2022 | Parga
17 February 2022 | Orthoni
06 December 2019 | Santa Maria di Leuca
19 February 2019 | An evening in Marzamemi
19 February 2019 | Theatre at Segesta
19 February 2019 | Temple at Selinunte
19 February 2019 | Temple at Segesta
19 February 2019 | Sicily
12 January 2019 | Egadis
12 January 2019 | Sicily
27 July 2018 | Aeolian Islands
13 June 2018 | Tropea
Recent Blog Posts
26 May 2023 | Agios Nikolaus, Crete

Cruising the Cyclades Spring 2022- Part Three

NAXOS

03 June 2022 | Ios

Cruising the Cyclades Spring 2022- Part One Ios

Swallow has been safely hanging out at Agios Marina, Crete since June 2019 but various factors, including Covid, have prevented us from doing any cruising; all we've managed up until now is a few days anchoring in Elounda and a lively sail to Sitia last Autumn. However we did enjoy some land based sightseeing [...]

26 May 2022 | Agios Nikolaus, Crete

Kalamata to Crete

Kalamata to Crete (via Kithera)

14 April 2022 | Kalamata

Kalamata Winter 2018-9

At 0815 on Thursday 1st November 2018 we departed Koroni through the heat haze; the low lying mist all around was spooky. We were close hauled with only the main out, a pleasant but slightly chilly 15 miles passage. With only 3 miles to go we saw flying fish whilst a pair of old jets were soaring above [...]

Gaeta Winter 2017

15 April 2018 | Gaeta
Carole Young
We feel very privileged to have experienced a winter in such a welcoming place as Gaeta; the town and inhabitants will always hold a special place in our hearts. I can see why this coastal area is a popular all year round holiday destination for the Italians.

Gaeta has seven beaches along a stunning coastline; we have spent lots of time, in all weathers, down on the beautiful Serapo beach (ten minutes’ walk from the marina). This beach is great for swimming and is very shallow. Serapo is overlooked by Monte Orlando Park on the peninsula where there is so much to discover: Roman ruins, Split Mountain with its chapel and church, Turq’s cave, an Aragonese castle, the Mausoleum of Lucio Munazio Pianco, old batteries and tunnels, roman cisterns, birdlife and Mediterranean vegetation- we found some wild rosemary. As you descend the other side of the peninsula you come to Gaeta Medievale which is the old town gently sprawling down the hill accessed by many sets of steps and very narrow streets, at first it seems as though you are wandering into people’s back yards. Most of the houses have roof terraces with spectacular views. There are many old churches here; we have visited the beautiful St Francis of Assisi which dates back to the thirteenth century, this church, with its magnificent outside staircase , overlooks Gaeta Medievale, the views are wonderful. The cathedral, with its 17th century crypt and imposing bell tower, is stunning. The Annunciation church holds the Golden Chapel and is also worth a visit. Of course none of the churches are open in the middle of the day when we were usually exploring, so we did have to make a concerted effort to go and visit them first thing in the morning or late afternoon! Every time we go out for a walk we discover something new about this town, which is so full of history. There are loads of wild cats wandering around here, which, if you know me well, you will appreciate that this is my worst nightmare; they are protected and very well fed and like to take their afternoon nap on the parked up mopeds! You can be fined thousands of euros if you persecute these creatures. Luckily Paul loves cats and makes a big fuss of them so they leave me alone.

Christmas in Gaeta starts in early November with the turning on of the festive lights which certainly puts our hometown of Southampton to shame- we’ve never seen anything like it; it seems that the mayor’s popularity is largely based on his decision to stage such a spectacular display each year, coupled with the firework display every weekend for nine weeks running! This certainly brings in the tourists, who arrive in coachloads at the weekends. As well as overhead decorative lights in just about every street there are also various impressive installations, such as a large ape, Manny the mammoth, an igloo scene with penguins, fish, shells, a train and a colour changing Christmas tree in front of the town hall, with an ice rink and a Christmas market. Via Independezia was also lined with poinsettias. The old town also has a nativity scene and Christmas grotto for the children; there is also a family games room with giant versions of popular games such as drafts and ludo. We were lucky enough to have a visit from our little 20 month old grandson in November and he was mystified by it all! Christmas day , and in fact all that week, was sunny and fifteen degrees here so we put our beef in the slow cooker and enjoyed an early afternoon walk along the beach, as we got back to the marina the town slowly came to life and some of the surrounding bars and restaurants were open. Scarlet joined us aboard Swallow and I managed to produce a delicious roast dinner with all the trimmings- unfortunately we couldn’t source parsnips, but hey we did have sprouts and homemade cranberry sauce. The Italian’s don’t eat turkey at Christmas, instead they have either capon or fish; they also seem to celebrate Epiphany, 6th January , in a big way; friends we have made here, who live in Rome, told us that the Italians have adopted the 25 December and Santa Claus from Northern Europe, the old tradition is that the good witch would bring presents on the eve of Epiphany but she would deliver a piece of coal to the naughty children, hence, Via Independezia was full of witches on broomsticks after Christmas. New Year’s Eve was predictably well celebrated here too, we certainly had to pace ourselves as the partying didn’t kick off until 11.30pm; we had dinner aboard Scarlet and then ventured out armed with our Prosecco for midnight- everybody is popping corks in the street at this time! There was music, dancing and fireworks everywhere- not to mention constant bangers going off around us; the ice rink was packed too. Everyone was in good spirit and there were no police around, a pleasant contrast to other busy places at New Year; there don’t seem to be any alcohol related incidents here maybe because apparently it’s not the ‘done thing’ to be drunk in Italy, especially if you are a woman; this town, however, is very traditional and I’m suspecting it’s probably a different story in Rome, for example. We managed to last ‘till 3am but the town was still rocking long after we were pushing up zeds!

There are lots of places to go for delicious locally cooked food here including of course plenty of pizzerias; our favourite is a family run business in an old Roman building, La Rete in Via Independezia, which has a great menu of not only pizzas but freshly made seafood dishes too; the owner has a boat here in the marina and takes a lot of pride in his restaurant. There is a great fried seafood place in Gaeta Medievale that sells the best takeaway fried calamari ever! Also near to that is Molo, where you can taste an amazing range of flavours of homemade ice-cream. The local pie, Tiella, has a range of fillings encased in a very light pastry made from pizza dough and is very tasty; we were lucky enough to have one made for us by Giussepina who owns the apartment which we have rented three times now for friends and family visits and when Swallow was hauled out, consequently, we have become friends with the lovely Joseph and Giussepina ; we have sampled lemons fresh from their tree and Joseph's delicious homemade wine, there’s plenty of that in Gaeta too! Just before Christmas we were invited to dinner at Anna’s house, she owns the marina with her brother Luca; this was a wonderful experience of Italian hospitality, fourteen guests, made up of family and friends, treated to Anna’s delicious cooking- just like a Dolmio advert! Anna also has mandarin trees in her garden and so she made us all a bottle of mandarin liquor for Christmas, hic!
After Christmas we spent five weeks visiting family and friends back in the UK; it's so easy to get home from here; you can reach Rome or Naples airport in a couple of hours. Our dear friends Drew and Jackie came to visit in March and we took a memorable daytrip to Herculaneum, an ancient Roman town which was destroyed in 79AD by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius; they didn't have much luck really as they had already rebuilt much of the town after an earthquake several years earlier. Excavations of this site began in the 18th century and are still continuing; as well as beautiful homes, shops and eateries,300 skeletons were uncovered on the shore- seeing these decayed people entwined with each other, trying to shelter from the ash was incredibly moving; this place is really worth a visit. The National Archaeological Museum in Naples holds many treasures from the excavations of both Herculaneum and Pompeii; sadly we didn't make it here, but it's first on our list when we return to Gaeta.

There is an American naval base in Gaeta where 1000 servicemen were once based, there doesn't appear to be a lot going on there these days but there are still a few American bars dotted around; so I was hoping that maybe St Patrick's Day would be celebrated here- as this day is my birthday we like to go and celebrate with a Guinness or two; sadly not the case here , we would have had to go to Rome for this. Instead we met up for lunch with local friends, Jen and Francis, who we stumbled across on one of our walks up to Mount Orlando; afterwards they invited us back to their apartment and made my birthday special with Guinness, Prosecco and birthday cake. Francis is American and his father was once based here and so had lots of stories to tell us about this area.

We are almost ready to leave Gaeta now; we had Swallow lifted out of the water and power washed in the Base Nautica Flavio Gioia yard; seeing Swallow up on the hoist always makes us rather nervous but all went well and we were very pleased with the professionalism of Tony and his team. Captain Paul has worked hard scrubbing and painting Swallow; being Copper coated he only had to anti foul the prop. Anchoring should be a lot easier this summer as he's fitted a new electric windlass, I assisted with laying the cable but apparently I take too many tea breaks! We also now have a new radio with a cockpit handset and a wind instrument; luckily Horst, a fellow sailor, was able to hoist Paul up the mast to fit this. We've checked all of our safety equipment and as soon as the non slip paint is finished on deck we'll be ready to set off for Swallow's next adventure towards Sicily. As for Gaeta and the wonderful friends we have made here-we will be back!
Comments
Swallow's Photos - Main
49 Photos
Created 15 April 2018
No Photos
Created 22 March 2018
72 Photos
Created 22 March 2018
24 Photos
Created 27 February 2018
15 Photos
Created 27 February 2018
3 Photos
Created 27 February 2018
30 Photos
Created 7 November 2017
27 Photos
Created 7 November 2017
15 Photos
Created 24 October 2017
30 Photos
Created 6 September 2017
13 Photos
Created 20 August 2017
37 Photos
Created 20 August 2017
14 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
10 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
15 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
20 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
11 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 18 August 2017
19 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
18 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
8 Photos
Created 12 June 2017
17 Photos
Created 23 April 2017
4 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 21 April 2017
Beautiful anchorage
10 Photos
Created 21 April 2017
24 Photos
Created 23 March 2017
51 Photos
Created 10 January 2017
31 Photos
Created 10 January 2017
27 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 14 November 2016
19 Photos
Created 14 November 2016
9 Photos
Created 13 November 2016
36 Photos
Created 4 November 2016
8 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
9 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
Day trip to Santiago de Compostella
11 Photos
Created 21 September 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 September 2016
10 Photos
Created 21 September 2016
13 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
20 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
14 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
20 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
14 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
7 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
10 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
10 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
6 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
15 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
7 Photos
Created 3 August 2016
10 Photos
Created 29 July 2016
4 Photos
Created 1 May 2016

About & Links

Photo Albums
15 April 2018
49 Photos
22 March 2018
No Photos