Swallow's adventures

Vessel Name: Swallow
Vessel Make/Model: Barbican 33
Hailing Port: Premier marina, Gosport
Crew: Paul Young Carole Young
About: Paul's been sailing for over 20 years ; Carole has just completed her Day Skipper Practical . Been living aboard for 18 months.
Extra: Giving up our jobs and sailing off into the sunset!!! Here we go.................
Social:
26 May 2023 | Agios Nikolaus, Crete
26 May 2022 | Agios Nikolaus, Crete
14 April 2022 | Kalamata
22 March 2022 | Zante Port
22 March 2022 | Preveza
07 March 2022 | Parga
17 February 2022 | Orthoni
06 December 2019 | Santa Maria di Leuca
19 February 2019 | An evening in Marzamemi
19 February 2019 | Theatre at Segesta
19 February 2019 | Temple at Selinunte
19 February 2019 | Temple at Segesta
19 February 2019 | Sicily
12 January 2019 | Egadis
12 January 2019 | Sicily
27 July 2018 | Aeolian Islands
13 June 2018 | Tropea
Recent Blog Posts
26 May 2023 | Agios Nikolaus, Crete

Cruising the Cyclades Spring 2022- Part Three

NAXOS

03 June 2022 | Ios

Cruising the Cyclades Spring 2022- Part One Ios

Swallow has been safely hanging out at Agios Marina, Crete since June 2019 but various factors, including Covid, have prevented us from doing any cruising; all we've managed up until now is a few days anchoring in Elounda and a lively sail to Sitia last Autumn. However we did enjoy some land based sightseeing [...]

26 May 2022 | Agios Nikolaus, Crete

Kalamata to Crete

Kalamata to Crete (via Kithera)

14 April 2022 | Kalamata

Kalamata Winter 2018-9

At 0815 on Thursday 1st November 2018 we departed Koroni through the heat haze; the low lying mist all around was spooky. We were close hauled with only the main out, a pleasant but slightly chilly 15 miles passage. With only 3 miles to go we saw flying fish whilst a pair of old jets were soaring above [...]

Lazio to Calabria

13 June 2018 | Tropea
Carole
On Monday 8th May at 0900, with a tear in our eyes, we finally cut the apron strings of Gaeta to embark on the next leg of Swallow’s adventures. For most of this 30 mile, slightly swelly, passage to Ischia the wind was on the nose, not as predicted; with just after 6 miles to go we managed to turn the engine off for a great beam reach. We sailed between the islands of Ischia and Procida heading for the promontory of Ischia Castello; there was quite a lot of commercial traffic and we had to radio an Italian cargo vessel whose captain was very obliging and said he would take action to avoid us. At 16.30 we found a spot in the anchorage south of the castle and enjoyed a peaceful night. The following day we paddled the dinghy to the quay whilst bailing out water all the way; unfortunately in Gaeta we decided to fit an air deck into the dinghy- this was kindly donated to us by a fellow sailor. We were delighted that the floor would be more stable; the following morning we realised that the air deck had blown the seal on the bottom of the dinghy! So now the floor is sealed with lots of glue but is very leaky! Paul assures me that we won’t sink but will just have to put up with wet feet; sadly a new dinghy is not in our budget at the moment! The small part we saw of Ischia was beautiful; the locals were friendly and the shops not too touristy. We bought some carrots and the owner let us have them free- it’s the small things! The wind was changing direction so once back aboard Swallow we motored around to the North anchorage for more shelter, an equally beautiful view of the island and castle.


After two nights at Ischia we weighed anchor at first light and set off for Agropoli; Paul’s already loving the new windless which he fitted in Gaeta- no more hauling up the anchor chain by hand. Ten minutes into the journey and the Guardia Costeria raced over to us to let us know we were in a restricted area- oops, we hadn’t noticed that on our chart plotter! Today we managed to have the engine off for an hour of our ten hour trip, for this time we enjoyed a great beam/broad reach; the rest of the time we motored into wind with just the mainsail up. I called the port, using my best, well-practised Italian and asked for a transito berth, this was free for the first night and an astronomical €50 after that- well we are in Italy! Consequently we only stayed two nights but we managed to squeeze in a visit to the ancient Greek temples at Paestum (10 minutes by train); these temples, of Hera, Athena and Neptune, are three of the most preserved of their kind in the world. It was a magical feeling to be able to climb up into these impressive structures and wander around where the Greek Gods were once worshipped. It’s at times like this that I wish I knew more about Greek mythology. Later that evening we walked up to the medieval town; on our way we stumbled across a taralli shop; we have become very partial to these Italian, cracker type, snacks. The owner let us try various sweet and savoury ones and we bought some with roasted onion in them, delicious! The old town is at the top of quite a few steps and through an archway which leads to the winding passageways. The castle was still open at 1930 so we walked through the tunnels and looked out past the turrets like two big kids exploring! The castle and town offer fantastic views of the bay and there are lots of little shops and restaurants in which to while away the time. As always, the locals were friendly and the fishermen along the quay were very interested in where we were from and where we were heading. We also managed to catch up with our friends from Gaeta, Janet, Horst and Polly, enjoying a quick drink aboard Tutunui .


On Saturday 11th May 2018 we gently motor sailed for 37 miles, in the sunshine, down the luscious green coastline which has villages nestled into the hills and lovely sandy beaches. We edged around Capo Palinuro and anchored in the stunning Buondornire Bay, which, as the name suggests, gave us a great night’s sleep! We had the anchorage to ourselves, with only the roosting seagulls for company; literally hundreds of them flew out of nowhere, past us and over towards an outlying rock, they circled on a thermal, soaring higher and higher; some were gliding in silence above us- it’s a miracle that we didn’t get guano bombed! Suddenly a pair of egrets flew through the melee and headed for the hills. Then all the seagulls peeled off to head for their chosen roost for the night; we were truly surrounded by the beauty and noises of nature. We awoke the next beautiful morning to the sounds of the sea lapping on the beach, the seagulls squawking and the sparrows tweeting. The craggy, limestone cliffs (or maybe sandstone, not sure) are so striking; the caves are so colourful and the beach is golden; it’s not high season yet so there are no swimming buoys out. Watching the sea ripple across the bay is hypnotizing. It’s so idyllically calm and peaceful here but not to be underestimated as any wind other than from the north can set up quite a chop in here; sadly strong winds and rain were coming the following morning so it was time for us to be on our way. We had hoped to do a night passage down through the Aeolian Islands to be able to sail past Stromboli , the oldest lighthouse in the world, and see it erupting but strong north westerlies were to be coming right across the islands , so instead we headed for Vibo Valentia, 86 miles south.


We left Palinuro at 1400 on a smooth sea with a tiny amount of wind on the nose; this was going to be a bit of a slog but a necessity so as not to get caught in what was coming. Early evening I commented “wouldn’t it be lovely to see some dolphins now”; within a minute I nearly jumped out of my skin as a single dolphin leapt out of the sea next to me, he then doubled back and went to join his mates who were playing in our wake, incredible! Well it added a bit of excitement to our monotonous passage. After eating our airplane style dinners we donned our warm clothes and lifejackets as it was getting dark. We worked out that Stromboli was 45 miles away on a bearing of 210 degrees so we were keeping our eyes peeled for any flashes of light. I was lucky enough to see a small red ball in the sky before I went below deck for a sleep. I awoke a few hours later to the sound of the coast guard calling us asking if we’d seen a small lost aircraft; of course then I was worrying that we’d crash into debris! Paul had had an eventful watch with lots of lightening, a few Stromboli flashes, three pods of dolphins and lots of sail trimming! We arrived at Vibo Valentia at 0600, a lot earlier than planned, so we had to wait on the fuel berth until the ormeggiatori were out of bed; we had pre booked on the phone, so they were expecting us and Danielle jumped aboard and sorted our lines. The marina, Stella del Sud, is so friendly and has possibly the best showers I’ve seen since we left the UK, so at €25 a night (with our CA discount) we were sure we’d stay here a few nights before deciding our next move; this would give us a chance to do the laundry and stock up ready for some more anchoring. This was a pleasant, old working town with a nice seafront but not much to see; consequently we got a lot of chores done here and stocked up at the discount supermarket, Qui.


After four days in Vibo Valentia we decided to head for Tropea which would be an ideal point to head off for the Aeolian Islands. We fuelled up before leaving, €1.62 a litre, ouch! Only 12 miles along this luscious green coastline today, but we had a great downwind sail with the genoa. Unfortunately the rain followed us all the way. The entrance to the marina is really shallow on the starboard side so they have laid buoys which are quite confusing but realised that as long as we kept them to starboard we were fine. We stayed here for two nights and walked up the 200 steps to the old town which was very rewarding. What a beautiful old town with a vibrant atmosphere, full of upmarket shops but reasonably priced restaurants; the views up there were fantastic; the buildings are embedded into the cliff. Everywhere was selling red onions with which they make a great relish. We spent an evening enjoying a pizza and planning the next part of Swallow’s adventures.


Comments
Swallow's Photos - Main
49 Photos
Created 15 April 2018
No Photos
Created 22 March 2018
72 Photos
Created 22 March 2018
24 Photos
Created 27 February 2018
15 Photos
Created 27 February 2018
3 Photos
Created 27 February 2018
30 Photos
Created 7 November 2017
27 Photos
Created 7 November 2017
15 Photos
Created 24 October 2017
30 Photos
Created 6 September 2017
13 Photos
Created 20 August 2017
37 Photos
Created 20 August 2017
14 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
10 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
15 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
20 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
11 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 18 August 2017
19 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
18 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
8 Photos
Created 12 June 2017
17 Photos
Created 23 April 2017
4 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 21 April 2017
Beautiful anchorage
10 Photos
Created 21 April 2017
24 Photos
Created 23 March 2017
51 Photos
Created 10 January 2017
31 Photos
Created 10 January 2017
27 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 14 November 2016
19 Photos
Created 14 November 2016
9 Photos
Created 13 November 2016
36 Photos
Created 4 November 2016
8 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
9 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
Day trip to Santiago de Compostella
11 Photos
Created 21 September 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 September 2016
10 Photos
Created 21 September 2016
13 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
20 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
14 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
20 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
14 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
7 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
10 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
10 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
6 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
15 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
7 Photos
Created 3 August 2016
10 Photos
Created 29 July 2016
4 Photos
Created 1 May 2016

About & Links

Photo Albums
15 April 2018
49 Photos
22 March 2018
No Photos