Swallow's adventures

Vessel Name: Swallow
Vessel Make/Model: Barbican 33
Hailing Port: Premier marina, Gosport
Crew: Paul Young Carole Young
About: Paul's been sailing for over 20 years ; Carole has just completed her Day Skipper Practical . Been living aboard for 18 months.
Extra: Giving up our jobs and sailing off into the sunset!!! Here we go.................
Social:
26 May 2023 | Agios Nikolaus, Crete
26 May 2022 | Agios Nikolaus, Crete
14 April 2022 | Kalamata
22 March 2022 | Zante Port
22 March 2022 | Preveza
07 March 2022 | Parga
17 February 2022 | Orthoni
06 December 2019 | Santa Maria di Leuca
19 February 2019 | An evening in Marzamemi
19 February 2019 | Theatre at Segesta
19 February 2019 | Temple at Selinunte
19 February 2019 | Temple at Segesta
19 February 2019 | Sicily
12 January 2019 | Egadis
12 January 2019 | Sicily
27 July 2018 | Aeolian Islands
13 June 2018 | Tropea
Recent Blog Posts
26 May 2023 | Agios Nikolaus, Crete

Cruising the Cyclades Spring 2022- Part Three

NAXOS

03 June 2022 | Ios

Cruising the Cyclades Spring 2022- Part One Ios

Swallow has been safely hanging out at Agios Marina, Crete since June 2019 but various factors, including Covid, have prevented us from doing any cruising; all we've managed up until now is a few days anchoring in Elounda and a lively sail to Sitia last Autumn. However we did enjoy some land based sightseeing [...]

26 May 2022 | Agios Nikolaus, Crete

Kalamata to Crete

Kalamata to Crete (via Kithera)

14 April 2022 | Kalamata

Kalamata Winter 2018-9

At 0815 on Thursday 1st November 2018 we departed Koroni through the heat haze; the low lying mist all around was spooky. We were close hauled with only the main out, a pleasant but slightly chilly 15 miles passage. With only 3 miles to go we saw flying fish whilst a pair of old jets were soaring above [...]

Aeolian Islands

27 July 2018 | Aeolian Islands
Carole Young
On Sunday 20th May 2018 at 1000 we crept out of the extremely shallow entrance at Tropea marina, bound for the Aeolian Islands just north of Sicily. Our plan was to anchor at Stromboli, just over 25 miles away, and sleep for a few hours until 0300 and then sail around to the North West of the island to watch the eruptions; after that we would sail down to the island of Panarea and anchor in daylight….well, the best laid plans never work do they? It was a beautiful morning and we could see the island of Stromboli in the distance through the heat haze; Swallow took us past the clifftop old town of Tropea which looked like it would collapse at any minute onto the sandy beach below. We dodged a few fishing pots, we knew there were some fish around as a local was selling dorade from his boat in the harbour that morning. Today was one of the best sails that Swallow has ever given us, she was perfectly balanced on a starboard close reach; the sea was smooth and we were stonking along at 5 knots; luckily an obliging commercial vessel, who we were on a collision course with, changed its course to pass behind us; we thought it was strange that he wasn’t appearing on our AIS so we radioed him in case he hadn’t seen us. As we approached Stromboli the sunlight glistened across the water on our port side towards the eastern side of the island making a glittery carpet; a perfect day! We arrived at the San Vincenzo anchorage at 1745 hoping to find mooring buoys but it would appear that it was too early in the season for them to be out; so instead we dropped our anchor in 2.7m of sand, probably a bit too close to the beach for the regulations but we figured nobody would be checking at this time of day. A few crews had taken their dinghies to the beach so that they could do the four hour walk to see the volcano crater in the dark; we decided to stick to our original plan and sail around the top of the island later on to view the eruptions from the water. We settled down to eat our chilli which I’d prepared that morning in our Mr D thermal cooker; after about half an hour we were rolling around as if we were a hammock in a hurricane! This turbulence seemed to be caused by a race running between the anchorage and the small islet of Strombolicchio to the north, this, coupled with the shallow depth made it totally untenable for us so we decided to skip the sleep and up sticks as soon as dusk came.

We motored for an hour to the North West tip of the island; the crescent moon and Venus were shining brightly, there was lightening behind us and we could see the lights from the hikers’ torches on land and also the navigation lights of other boats. We turned our engine off at 2150 opposite the Sciara del Fuoco and waited for the fireworks; wow, what an experience: the eruptions, which happened every 20 minutes, resembled a giant roman candle; red hot spikes fired hundreds of feet up into the night sky and then bright orange and red glowing boulders and lava spewed down the slopes towards the sea where they cooled and solidified, constantly adding to the rugged coastline. After watching a few of these spectacular performances we sailed off into the night to look for a suitable anchorage.

As we approached the island of Panarea we had a startling radio call from an Italian ship’s captain asking us if we wanted to go “green to green or red to red”, this confirmed that we were definitely not receiving other vessels on our AIS; there were so many lights twinkling, on the island of Salina, in the distance on our starboard side that we couldn’t see him at all so Captain Paul decided on the standard ‘ port to port’ passing; we turned to starboard but still couldn’t see him so Paul changed his mind and started to go to port; all of a sudden I spotted his port light so he would basically have T-boned us, of course I dramatically screamed at Paul to go back on the course agreed and all was well! In comparison to Salina Panarea was in total darkness, so, although we could have just navigated with our plotter, we didn’t feel very comfortable entering the anchorage and decided to carry on down to Vulcano Island and anchor in daylight; we were both shattered but agreed that the sleep deprivation was worth what we had experienced tonight.


There are great anchorages either side of the northern tip of Vulcano below the island of Lipari; we arrived at Porto di Levante, the eastern anchorage, at 0600 and were both ready for a long sleep; unfortunately the hydrofoils bringing in the tourists start running early morning and their wash caused us intolerable rolling! We cat napped during the day and Paul fixed a broken data cable on the chart plotter; we noticed, and smelt, sulphur pouring out of cracks in the side of the volcano; we watched the rather large car ferries do a 360 turn and drop their anchors as they approached the harbour; a ginormous gas tanker anchored for the night next to the pier a few hundred metres from us and ran a large pipe ashore. There’s a nice beach of black, volcanic sand here, great for exfoliating your feet and you can swim among the sulphur bubbles, a natural jacuzzi! We observed people wallowing in the mud bathes in the hope of restoring their youth. Once all the commercial traffic had ceased for the night we enjoyed a very calm, peaceful evening.

After a brief visit to Cabo Orlando, back on Sicily, we spent a few days at the western anchorage on Vulcano, Porto di Ponente, where we took the dinghy ashore and walked over to the eastern side for a warm swim and a cold beer at the beach bar; here you can find pumice and lava rock, unfortunately I couldn’t find any obsidian, the beautiful black glass-like rock which is formed from the solidified lava. This area has a very relaxed feel to it; there are a few stalls selling jewellery and nik naks , small shops , car rentals where you can hire a mini moke, a supermarket and various bars and restaurants. We climbed up to the crater of the volcano early one morning, before the sun was too hot; this took us about an hour and was well worth the trip; the soft sandstone was hard to walk on but higher up the terrain was black gravel. We saw that stones had been laid to channel water down the sides of the volcano when it rained. The experience was, literally, breath-taking, as we were overcome by the fumes of the bright yellow hot sulphur which was pouring out everywhere; Paul managed to melt the bottom of his shoe when he stood on a hot patch! The crater is incredible, some people had climbed down inside to place lava stones spelling out their names. On the way down everyone laid a stone on a rock pile to mark their presence; the descent was faster but more difficult on the loose ground. We experienced fantastic views over to Lipari and down into the harbour where Swallow was waiting for us.


A few days later we enjoyed a gentle close hauled, hydrofoil dodging sail of four miles north to Pignataro on the island of Lipari; I had previously emailed Assunta at Eol.Mare and booked us in, luckily we were still in May so only €35 a night for us (with 3rd night free); this would rise to €50 in July and €110 in August!!! Marco the marinaro welcomed us in and promptly produced a set of steps so that I could easily climb off the bow onto the pontoon- definitely the red carpet treatment! Next to the marina is a cute little bar situated on the black sand of the harbour, well more of a shack really; here we enjoyed a cheap Italian beer and watched the local men playing cards. We took the 20 minute walk into Lipari town and noticed a few boats at anchor in the bay. Lipari is the largest of the Aeolian islands and was inhabited as early the Neolithic times when obsidian was plentiful and trading was lucrative; there is so much history here which is depicted in the town’s archaeological museum where, among other artefacts, we saw beautiful Greek carnelian jewellery and thousands of amphorae! Pumice and sulphur souvenirs are plentiful in the shops as is beautiful obsidian jewellery.


Should you find yourselves cruising in this area don’t miss the Aeolian Islands, each of which has a charm of its own; the sailing is great too as there is plenty of wind! Unfortunately we didn’t venture to Alicudi, the furthest west island or to the rocky Filicudi; we also regrettably missed Salina which has a double cone volcano but we will definitely be back; right now Cefalu is beckoning.
Comments
Swallow's Photos - Main
49 Photos
Created 15 April 2018
No Photos
Created 22 March 2018
72 Photos
Created 22 March 2018
24 Photos
Created 27 February 2018
15 Photos
Created 27 February 2018
3 Photos
Created 27 February 2018
30 Photos
Created 7 November 2017
27 Photos
Created 7 November 2017
15 Photos
Created 24 October 2017
30 Photos
Created 6 September 2017
13 Photos
Created 20 August 2017
37 Photos
Created 20 August 2017
14 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
10 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
15 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
20 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
11 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 18 August 2017
19 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
18 Photos
Created 18 August 2017
8 Photos
Created 12 June 2017
17 Photos
Created 23 April 2017
4 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 21 April 2017
Beautiful anchorage
10 Photos
Created 21 April 2017
24 Photos
Created 23 March 2017
51 Photos
Created 10 January 2017
31 Photos
Created 10 January 2017
27 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 14 November 2016
19 Photos
Created 14 November 2016
9 Photos
Created 13 November 2016
36 Photos
Created 4 November 2016
8 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
9 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
Day trip to Santiago de Compostella
11 Photos
Created 21 September 2016
18 Photos
Created 21 September 2016
10 Photos
Created 21 September 2016
13 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
20 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
14 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
20 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
14 Photos
Created 14 September 2016
7 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
10 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
10 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
6 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
15 Photos
Created 26 August 2016
7 Photos
Created 3 August 2016
10 Photos
Created 29 July 2016
4 Photos
Created 1 May 2016

About & Links

Photo Albums
15 April 2018
49 Photos
22 March 2018
No Photos