Swingin' on a Star

Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".

01 April 2010 | Palau
13 July 2009 | Palau
05 July 2009 | Yacht Harbor
03 July 2009 | Peleliu
02 July 2009 | Palau
01 July 2009 | Two Dog Beach
30 June 2009 | Mecharchar
29 June 2009 | Mecharchar
28 June 2009 | Ulong
27 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
17 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
16 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
15 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
14 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
13 June 2009 | Ngerutable
25 May 2009 | Yacht Harbor
30 April 2009 | Malakal
29 April 2009 | Koror
28 April 2009 | Malakal
27 April 2009 | Malakal

Leverick Bay

12 March 2007 | Virgin Gorda
Randy
We slept until the sun came up today! Wow, what a concept. I was getting used to beautiful sunrises.

After some great omelets a la Hideko, we got set to dinghy ashore to clear in. I had launched Little Star earlier in the morning. When we went out to get going I realized that the dinghy was now a swimming pool. I promptly jumped in and inserted the drain plug. We stow the dinghy upright on the after deck and always remove the plug to drain things if it rains. I almost always reinsert it before lowering the boat into the water. Almost being the operative word. I was bailing for a while.

The clear in process was very easy and only cost 20 or 30 buck. The BVI uses US currency so commerce is pretty straight forward for us yanks.

We had reservations at Leverick Bay Marina, which is a nice place in North Sound Virgin Gorda, just the other side of Tortolla. I had talked to my parents last night to tell them to get a hotel for the first night and that we would meet them at Leverick tonight.

We wanted to sail around Tortolla and up into North Sound. Hideko was set on catching some fish so we planned a route across the Kingfish Banks. It was a great sail and sure enough, as soon as we hit the banks Hideko pulled in a big Mackerel. I caught and returned a Barracuda as usual.

While we were playing around the wind backed to 30 degrees. Of course that was our heading. We fired up the Yanmars and motored the rest of the way into North Sound.

We docked the boat at 6PM and took a big exhale. We were home, for a while. Of course we had a flight to Japan booked for the next day so that we could attend Hideko's brother's wedding but at least Roq and Swingin' on a Star would be comfortable for the next week or two.

Once tied up we immediately located my Dad at the bar. It was great to see my parents in the tropics again. We also located Cindy, our friend from the Lauderdale Marine Center. Fred was out on the dive boat but their Amel was happily anchored in the harbor.

After quickly catching up Hideko and I set about ensuring the boat was secure for our week away. It was strange to be on the dock, but we slept just fine.
Comments
Vessel Name: Swingin' on a Star
Vessel Make/Model: Saint Francis 50
Hailing Port: Las Vegas, NV
Crew: Randy Abernethy
Home Page: http://swinginonastar.com
Swingin' on a Star's Photos - Swingin on a Star (Main)
Selected photos of Swingin' on a Star at anchor.
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2007
31 Photos
Created 15 September 2007
copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved