Swingin' on a Star

Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".

01 April 2010 | Palau
13 July 2009 | Palau
05 July 2009 | Yacht Harbor
03 July 2009 | Peleliu
02 July 2009 | Palau
01 July 2009 | Two Dog Beach
30 June 2009 | Mecharchar
29 June 2009 | Mecharchar
28 June 2009 | Ulong
27 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
17 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
16 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
15 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
14 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
13 June 2009 | Ngerutable
25 May 2009 | Yacht Harbor
30 April 2009 | Malakal
29 April 2009 | Koror
28 April 2009 | Malakal
27 April 2009 | Malakal

Preping the boat

09 July 2008 | Tahiti
Randy
We had planned to head off to Moorea today. The boat was a long way from being ready for sea however. The city dock is not a place to try to keep you boat clean. We ended up taking the entire day to prep the boat.

Pablo, Nobu and I re-stitched the trampoline shock cord, which made the feel of the tramps much more enjoyable. We washed down the decks stowed everything below and finished up some business on the Internet.

The port captain requests you check with them prior to heading to Moorea, and we had to pay our bill anyway. By noon the wind was up and that pretty much settled it. We would stay one more night and leave at first light. I considered putting our port prop on here but the water quality is just too nasty. With a new monohull to starboard (and a nice Moody 64 at that) and our friends on O'Vive to port, I was not comfortable trying to make an exit with one prop and 15 knots of breeze pushing the bow around.

Hideko and I decided to hit the Heiva again while everyone else relaxed. The second night was troop performances and choral music. The troop performances include drums and sometimes other instruments with Polynesian dance in a story telling format with various groups of men and women and mixed dancers. There were solo dancers and singers and often choral bits. Hideko enjoyed these performance the most out of everything we saw over the two nights.

The choral singing performances were interesting as well but a bit repetitive and long. I would love to listen to the music while working or doing something else but it is a little slow for me as a point of focus at the end of the day. Curiously the performers are all seated with the exception of the director. The women also place their chins in their left hands forefingers on their cheeks. I'm sure there is some cultural significance to all of this but I will have to do some more research before I know what it is.
Comments
Vessel Name: Swingin' on a Star
Vessel Make/Model: Saint Francis 50
Hailing Port: Las Vegas, NV
Crew: Randy Abernethy
Home Page: http://swinginonastar.com
Swingin' on a Star's Photos - Swingin on a Star (Main)
Selected photos of Swingin' on a Star at anchor.
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2007
31 Photos
Created 15 September 2007
copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved