Swingin' on a Star

Ship's log for the circumnavigating Saint Francis 50 catamaran, "Swingin on a Star".

01 April 2010 | Palau
13 July 2009 | Palau
05 July 2009 | Yacht Harbor
03 July 2009 | Peleliu
02 July 2009 | Palau
01 July 2009 | Two Dog Beach
30 June 2009 | Mecharchar
29 June 2009 | Mecharchar
28 June 2009 | Ulong
27 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
17 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
16 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
15 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
14 June 2009 | Ngeruktabel
13 June 2009 | Ngerutable
25 May 2009 | Yacht Harbor
30 April 2009 | Malakal
29 April 2009 | Koror
28 April 2009 | Malakal
27 April 2009 | Malakal

Last Night in Tahiti

20 July 2008 | Quai des Yachts
Randy
We spent our last full day in Tahiti getting caught up on the internet (the blog was getting very behind), provisioning and cleaning the boat up. Hideko did the majority of the cleaning, bless her.

We had to replace our starboard RuleMate 1100, which was only about two months old. On the Pacific crossing when had water coming into the starboard bilge fairly frequently. This is because the bilge pump outlet drains through the bridge deck but has an aft facing scoop to keep out water splashing from the bow. This is the right way to do it of course but when you have 3-4 meter following seas they pass you and pound up under the bridge deck from the wrong direction as they go by. Thus the leeward hull is often getting salt water forced into the scoops. With no check valve (something I will add in the future) water comes straight into the bilge.

The first day I heard the bilge alarm I was concerned and could not figure out where the water was coming from. Extra concerned because the boat was being tested in the big seas and the water was salt. The flow rate was slow though and I happened to catch the process in the act at one point. Once I knew what was happening I was content that all was well.

The 1100, which was new as of Panama, ran for most of the way across but about four days from Fatu Hiva it stopped working and we had to use the manual once or twice a day. I am happy we have the manual Whale pumps but the location of the starboard one makes only a half pump possible due to its proximity to the stairs. Nit picky I know but one always strives for perfection especially given the relative expense and newness of this boat.

The old 1100 seems to have no excuse for failing, much like the last 10 or 15 we have piled up. I still intend to take the factory up on their offer to inspect a few of the deceased to try to get to the bottom of the problem.

It being Sunday, the big market day, we went to the market. The open air market in Papeete is open everyday but Sunday the whole perimeter is packed with distant and local farmers who only come once a week. We picked up lots of nice fruits and vegetables, typically for a discount over store prices. The indoor area has a butcher and lots of fish mongers as well as a nice upstairs bar (ridiculously priced) with a jammin' uke band.
Comments
Vessel Name: Swingin' on a Star
Vessel Make/Model: Saint Francis 50
Hailing Port: Las Vegas, NV
Crew: Randy Abernethy
Home Page: http://swinginonastar.com
Swingin' on a Star's Photos - Swingin on a Star (Main)
Selected photos of Swingin' on a Star at anchor.
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2007
31 Photos
Created 15 September 2007
copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Randy & Hideko Abernethy, all rights reserved