Sycorax in the Med

23 July 2013
09 July 2013 | Milazzo, Sicily
09 July 2013 | Sardinia
29 June 2013
28 June 2013
18 June 2013 | Granada
18 June 2013
15 June 2013 | Marina Bay, Gibraltar
04 June 2013 | Povoa de Varzim
29 May 2013
27 May 2013
10 May 2013 | Seaview, Isle of Wight
03 May 2013 | Chichester Marina & Hayling Bay

Final(?) Test

10 May 2013 | Seaview, Isle of Wight
Last Saturday was a windy day in Hayling Bay, however, whilst not being the most pleasant of sails it was useful to get the boat out in strong winds for a final test before we finally set off later this month. We took the opportunity to join our friends in CCRC (Chichester Cruiser Racing Club) who were taking part in the Spring Bank Holiday three day race series which traditionally visits Seaview Yacht Club near Bembridge on the Isle of Wight.

We left Chichester Marina just before 9am on Saturday morning and motored down through the harbour as there were already strong headwinds. The sails went up under the lee of Hayling Island Sailing Club with two reefs in the main and several turns taken in on the furling headsail. Occasionally the wind fell below 20kts and we felt a little under-powered, however the trip was fairly short and the wind gusty so we didn't attempt to increase the sail area. I was glad of that as the wind increased as the morning went on and regularly topped out at around 32kts over the deck. SYCORAX felt well balanced and we had no problems although the short stopping seas made for an uncomfortable ride and the crew benefitted from the shelter of the sprayhood. Not so the unfortunate skipper standing at the wheel. I regularly suffered a face full of spray!!

It was worth it to ensure everything worked as it should and to enjoy the hospitality of Seaview together with the convivial atmosphere of a CCRC post-race gathering. It was the first time this year we have had the opportunity to catch up with a number of our friends from the Club.

After lunch the sun shone but the wind still blew, however, this time it gave us a good romp home!
Comments
Vessel Name: Sycorax
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 36
Hailing Port: Chichester
Crew: Brian & Geraldine Dandridge
Social:

Who: Brian & Geraldine Dandridge
Port: Chichester