Sycorax in the Med

23 July 2013
09 July 2013 | Milazzo, Sicily
09 July 2013 | Sardinia
29 June 2013
28 June 2013
18 June 2013 | Granada
18 June 2013
15 June 2013 | Marina Bay, Gibraltar
04 June 2013 | Povoa de Varzim
29 May 2013
27 May 2013
10 May 2013 | Seaview, Isle of Wight
03 May 2013 | Chichester Marina & Hayling Bay

The Final Crew Change

09 July 2013 | Milazzo, Sicily
Bob and Sue were only available for just over a week and were scheduled to fly home from Palermo Airport on Sunday 7th to be replaced by Pat Morrell and Graham “Bert” Pierce so on Friday 5th we left Trapani to sail round to the Palermo area. Once again it was a lovely day but his time there was a genuine breeze – almost bang on the nose!! However, on this occasion there was no time pressure just a great opportunity to enjoy the pleasures of sailing. All through the morning we tacked out and round the headland to the north east of Trapani until by around lunch time we were able to bear off onto a beam reach.

Initially we were heading to Palermo or Terrasini, which is close to the airport, however I was a little concerned about the shallow depth indicated in the pilot book and so at the last minute decided to head into Castellammare Del Golfo. This turned out to be a delightful spot and offered relatively inexpensive berthing at just 30 euros a night. The facilities were pretty basic with just one toilet and no shower, and, unfortunately, VERY short range WiFi. Rob, Bob and I had to take our iPads up to their “office” veranda to get a connection and even then if we moved more than a couple of feet the connection would drop. The blog update will have to wait, once again.

Initially our view of Castellammare was that it was picturesque but rather dusty and quiet - that all changed at around nine in the evening. The whole place sprang to life, restaurants bustled, live music could be heard in several bars and the waterfront heaved with people out to enjoy the evening. On Saturday we explored the town a bit more and Bob set about negotiating a round trip taxi to take him and Sue to the airport and pick up Pat and Bert who would arrive about the same time they would be checking in. All went well and just a couple of hours after saying our farewells to Bob and Sue Rob and I welcomed Pat and Bert on board with a glass of chilled wine.

Unfortunately I couldn’t promise Pat and Bert much of a sail for the next few days as the weather prediction was for pretty well zero wind and the possibility of an afternoon shower. Monday 8th saw us heading off for Cefalu, a passage of around 56 miles which we completed under engine. A very uneventful passage apart from the sighting of a couple of flashes of lightening over the land. Fortunately this didn’t come our way and in the early evening we dropped the hook in the anchorage just off Cefalu Marina. This was a really beautiful spot – the perfect location to sit back and enjoy a chilled G&T before preparing the evening meal. It was also good to have a free and restful night. We discussed the plans for our approach to the Straights of Messina, which we would have to get right, and decided to head off next morning for Milazzo which is the last suitable spot to berth, refuel and restock before approaching the Straights.

The morning of the 9th July therefore finds us once again under engine, burning diesel for the sixty mile passage. I am hoping that this time I will get access to WiFi to get these reports uploaded along with the accompanying photographs.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sycorax
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 36
Hailing Port: Chichester
Crew: Brian & Geraldine Dandridge
Social:

Who: Brian & Geraldine Dandridge
Port: Chichester