The Grander Scheme: s/v Northern Symphony

Another simple dream...Another crazy notion: To make a sequel to our Grand Scheme by making an extended great loop starting from our home in Nova Scotia. One boat, two so-called adults, one or two children, and one cat.

17 July 2011 | Mahone Bay, NS
13 July 2011 | Clarks Harbour, NS
04 July 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
22 June 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
20 June 2011 | Richmond, ME
19 June 2011 | Rockport, MA
16 June 2011 | Gloucester, MA
15 June 2011 | Sandwich, MA
13 June 2011 | Point Judith, RI
12 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
08 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
06 June 2011 | New York, NY
05 June 2011 | New York, NY
01 June 2011 | Baltimore, MD
23 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
17 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
16 May 2011 | Selby Beach, MD
15 May 2011 | Crisfield, MD
14 May 2011 | Cape Charles, VA
12 May 2011 | Norfolk, VA

and then they rested...sort of

12 October 2010 | Jersey City, NJ
After our long push westward we finally reached New York City! Equally important, the winds finally calmed. After days of going out and getting battered about by strong winds and seas, having a day of flat seas was a welcome respite.

We left the Cedar Point Yacht Club at 6am yesterday and, for the rest of our time on Long Island Sound, we never saw winds over about 8 knots. After refueling in New Rochelle, we continued through Hell Gate and down the East River into New York harbor. This was our fourth time passing through these waters and, while the timing of the currents (we hit it just about perfectly this time) and the commercial traffic is much less intimidating than the first time, the thrill of riding through the heart of New York was still fantastic.

We pulled into the Liberty Landing marina yesterday afternoon intending to stay just one night and then head off down the New Jersey coast. But after a whomping thunderstorm complete with hail, and a careful analysis of the weather trends and our energy levels, we decided to stay here for the day and not head off until the wee hours tomorrow...Of course, I had my work to do and Anne did laundry and other chores while Evelyn and Leslie did schoolwork so it wasn't a day of rest in the classic sense. Nevertheless, it felt like a rest day and while we may be a bit short of sleep as we set off for Cape May tomorrow (we won't get there until sometime quite late tomorrow night), it will be with fresher minds and cleaner clothes!

Comments
Vessel Name: Northern Symphony
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Catalina 36, Tall Rig
Hailing Port: Lunenburg, NS
Crew: The Wightmans
About: Colin (skipper), Anne, Evelyn, Leslie, and Scourge-of-the-Sea, our boat kitty.
Northern Symphony's Photos - Main
From our 2010 visit
No Photos
Created 11 December 2010
A collection of photos showing various parts and stages of our refit during the spring of 2010
No Photos
Created 6 June 2010