The Grander Scheme: s/v Northern Symphony

Another simple dream...Another crazy notion: To make a sequel to our Grand Scheme by making an extended great loop starting from our home in Nova Scotia. One boat, two so-called adults, one or two children, and one cat.

17 July 2011 | Mahone Bay, NS
13 July 2011 | Clarks Harbour, NS
04 July 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
22 June 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
20 June 2011 | Richmond, ME
19 June 2011 | Rockport, MA
16 June 2011 | Gloucester, MA
15 June 2011 | Sandwich, MA
13 June 2011 | Point Judith, RI
12 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
08 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
06 June 2011 | New York, NY
05 June 2011 | New York, NY
01 June 2011 | Baltimore, MD
23 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
17 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
16 May 2011 | Selby Beach, MD
15 May 2011 | Crisfield, MD
14 May 2011 | Cape Charles, VA
12 May 2011 | Norfolk, VA

A day at the office

09 November 2010 | Cedar Creek, NC
It's pretty absurd to try to describe a typical day of cruising...and I'm not going to try. But I will describe today as one example of living and working on a cruising boat.

At 5am, I woke up and started working on a writing project.

At 630: Anne got up and started doing the engine checks and such in preparation for departure and, at 7am, Anne hoisted the anchor while I piloted the boat out of the anchorage and headed down the ICW. For the next hour, we ate our breakfast in the cockpit and enjoyed the morning sights before Anne went below to get Evelyn and Leslie.

By 8:30, we were under sail, running down the Pungo River and Evelyn and Anne were in control: I went below and started my workday. While they sailed across the Pamlico river, dropped the sails, motored through another canal, hoisted the sails and sailed 15 miles down the Neuse River, I sat below reading emails, writing several documents and making phone calls. In the mid afternoon, I took a break and helped find navigation markers as we came into Adams Creek until we reached our anchorage. After we were anchored, i went back to my computer while Evelyn and Leslie blew up the kayak and went of exploring the local wetlands.

Now its dark and we're all in the cabin. Evelyn and Leslie are making a cake, Anne is reading, and I'm updating our blog. Later we'll have dinner, and I'll read another few chapters of our read-aloud book while the dishes get done.

Its not a typical day, but its not an unusual one either.
Comments
Vessel Name: Northern Symphony
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Catalina 36, Tall Rig
Hailing Port: Lunenburg, NS
Crew: The Wightmans
About: Colin (skipper), Anne, Evelyn, Leslie, and Scourge-of-the-Sea, our boat kitty.
Northern Symphony's Photos - Main
From our 2010 visit
No Photos
Created 11 December 2010
A collection of photos showing various parts and stages of our refit during the spring of 2010
No Photos
Created 6 June 2010