The Grander Scheme: s/v Northern Symphony

Another simple dream...Another crazy notion: To make a sequel to our Grand Scheme by making an extended great loop starting from our home in Nova Scotia. One boat, two so-called adults, one or two children, and one cat.

17 July 2011 | Mahone Bay, NS
13 July 2011 | Clarks Harbour, NS
04 July 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
22 June 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
20 June 2011 | Richmond, ME
19 June 2011 | Rockport, MA
16 June 2011 | Gloucester, MA
15 June 2011 | Sandwich, MA
13 June 2011 | Point Judith, RI
12 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
08 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
06 June 2011 | New York, NY
05 June 2011 | New York, NY
01 June 2011 | Baltimore, MD
23 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
17 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
16 May 2011 | Selby Beach, MD
15 May 2011 | Crisfield, MD
14 May 2011 | Cape Charles, VA
12 May 2011 | Norfolk, VA

By George!

19 November 2010 | Georgetown, SC
Town, that is....Yesterday we made a short ten miles or so to a marina in Georgetown and tied up intending to spend the day exploring town and then head off today. But Georgetown is a seductive place: South Carolina's third oldest city and and a beautiful, slow-paced town. I spent most of the day belowdecks but got to enjoy a couple of good restaurants (including a rare dinner alone with Anne!) and we've decided to spend a few days here before heading for Charleston.

Evelyn and Leslie have been exploring the local geocaches and Anne toured the Rice Museum (Rice was the economic mainstay of the region back before the Civil War). Its a wonderfully relaxing time to be here: Warm, sunny days, cool evenings that invite quiet strolls along the harborwalk, and friendly people who say "good morning" to strangers on the street.

The picture is from our anchorage in Thoroughfare Creek just before we left for Georgetown. The morning mists were quite thick (they had thinned considerably before we took this picture) and the other boats must have been using their radar when they left the anchorage an hour before us. Hauling the anchor provided an interesting demonstration of how our minds try to process visual information: We were solidly anchored and so not moving, the river current had bits of foam, leaves, etc flowing past us at a knot or two, while the wind came from behind us and blew streamers of mist in the opposite direction at about the same speed...Even knowing all that, looking down over our bow pulpit was mildly disorienting as the mind struggled to reconcile all the motion with the feeling of not being in motion!
Comments
Vessel Name: Northern Symphony
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Catalina 36, Tall Rig
Hailing Port: Lunenburg, NS
Crew: The Wightmans
About: Colin (skipper), Anne, Evelyn, Leslie, and Scourge-of-the-Sea, our boat kitty.
Northern Symphony's Photos - Main
From our 2010 visit
No Photos
Created 11 December 2010
A collection of photos showing various parts and stages of our refit during the spring of 2010
No Photos
Created 6 June 2010