The Grander Scheme: s/v Northern Symphony

Another simple dream...Another crazy notion: To make a sequel to our Grand Scheme by making an extended great loop starting from our home in Nova Scotia. One boat, two so-called adults, one or two children, and one cat.

17 July 2011 | Mahone Bay, NS
13 July 2011 | Clarks Harbour, NS
04 July 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
22 June 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
20 June 2011 | Richmond, ME
19 June 2011 | Rockport, MA
16 June 2011 | Gloucester, MA
15 June 2011 | Sandwich, MA
13 June 2011 | Point Judith, RI
12 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
08 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
06 June 2011 | New York, NY
05 June 2011 | New York, NY
01 June 2011 | Baltimore, MD
23 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
17 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
16 May 2011 | Selby Beach, MD
15 May 2011 | Crisfield, MD
14 May 2011 | Cape Charles, VA
12 May 2011 | Norfolk, VA

Net Savings

03 February 2011 | Marathon, FL
Anne
The cruiser's net, that is! Here in Boot Key Harbor, Marathon "where mooring is a ball," everything is set up to make it easy to live on the boat on a mooring. When you arrive, you find out when your scheduled weekly pumpout is. Additional putouts can be scheduled for a small fee. There is a daily cruiser's net on VHF 68 to help boaters get to know each other, help each other with problems, buy, sell, and trade items, and even stump the harbor with a trivia question. We have been saved by the net already.

On Sunday, we motored out to one of the places boats can moor on a reef in order to snorkel or scuba. We had a good time snorkeling, although I was unsuccessful at taking pictures. We have a housing for our camera just for taking underwater photos, but apparently the camera turned itself off, so none of the pictures I tried to take actually created images. We saw, among other things, parrot fish, sergeant major fish, yellow tail snappers, barracudas, and three kinds of angel fish.

Upon returning to our mooring here, we realized that this was the first time since we left Nova Scotia that we came back to the same place (dock or mooring) that we left from. Then we noticed that the batteries were no more charged than when we'd left. This is unusual because normally the batteries charge when we run the motor, and we were counting on this little jaunt to charge them up. Colin checked out a couple of things and thinks it may be the regulator, but as he had to leave on another business trip, we won't be able to fix it until he returns.

So what what to do in the mean time? The options seemed to be: beg, borrow, buy, or rent a generator or move to a slip with shore power. So we got on the cruiser's net and asked if anyone had a generator to sell. (I bet you thought I'd forgotten about being saved by the net.) Sure enough, someone had just upgraded to a bigger generator and was selling one just right for us at a reasonable price. So now we run our little generator daily to charge the batteries (just like most of the boats here). It's actually much nicer (quieter and cooler) than running the engine to charge the batteries, so I'm glad we've got the generator. We'll have to decide whether to find a place to stow it or sell it when we leave.

Last night Leslie, Evelyn, and I went to the Meet and Greet pot luck dinner run by the cruiser's net folks. Quite an extensive spread and we met nice people at our table.

The picture is Evelyn and Leslie heading off in the kayak (which they now use like a canoe - sort of) to find a geocache that was hanging from a mangrove up a creek near our mooring.
Comments
Vessel Name: Northern Symphony
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Catalina 36, Tall Rig
Hailing Port: Lunenburg, NS
Crew: The Wightmans
About: Colin (skipper), Anne, Evelyn, Leslie, and Scourge-of-the-Sea, our boat kitty.
Northern Symphony's Photos - Main
From our 2010 visit
No Photos
Created 11 December 2010
A collection of photos showing various parts and stages of our refit during the spring of 2010
No Photos
Created 6 June 2010