The Grander Scheme: s/v Northern Symphony

Another simple dream...Another crazy notion: To make a sequel to our Grand Scheme by making an extended great loop starting from our home in Nova Scotia. One boat, two so-called adults, one or two children, and one cat.

17 July 2011 | Mahone Bay, NS
13 July 2011 | Clarks Harbour, NS
04 July 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
22 June 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
20 June 2011 | Richmond, ME
19 June 2011 | Rockport, MA
16 June 2011 | Gloucester, MA
15 June 2011 | Sandwich, MA
13 June 2011 | Point Judith, RI
12 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
08 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
06 June 2011 | New York, NY
05 June 2011 | New York, NY
01 June 2011 | Baltimore, MD
23 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
17 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
16 May 2011 | Selby Beach, MD
15 May 2011 | Crisfield, MD
14 May 2011 | Cape Charles, VA
12 May 2011 | Norfolk, VA

Boot Key hAARRRGHHHbor

12 February 2011 | Marathon, FL
Avast, ye maties! The fearsome crew of the Northern Symphony swarmed the mainland fortress to search for booty: Captain Wills, Rose the terror, Leslie the fearsome, and Anne the Awesome this day engaged the assembled legions in a sea-borne battle to reach the fabled treasure!

We're still here in Marathon and enjoying the cruising community. Somebody decided to organize a pirate-themed treasure hunt and, of course, we immediately signed up. Evelyn and Leslie took it as a creative challenge and, with supplies from the local thrift store, constructed some great piratical costumes and stitched a proper pirate flag that we proudly flew from our boathook. The weather was windy and cold with rain threatening, so everybody else turned up in foulies, but we were dressed the part.

The hunt itself was conducted by dingy with compass and GPS units. Of course, with our quiet little electric outboard we were at rather a disadvantage but, with two people paddling to supplement, we held our own. The final leg of the course required the engines to be shut down and the dingies to be rowed or paddled and we more than held our own through that! We weren't the first people to reach the treasure, but we had as much fun as anybody else. Strangely, Scourge of the Sea demonstrated a complete lack of pirate instinct and spent the entire time asleep aboard Northern Symphony.... truly a fearsome feline. Not!

Comments
Vessel Name: Northern Symphony
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Catalina 36, Tall Rig
Hailing Port: Lunenburg, NS
Crew: The Wightmans
About: Colin (skipper), Anne, Evelyn, Leslie, and Scourge-of-the-Sea, our boat kitty.
Northern Symphony's Photos - Main
From our 2010 visit
No Photos
Created 11 December 2010
A collection of photos showing various parts and stages of our refit during the spring of 2010
No Photos
Created 6 June 2010