The Grander Scheme: s/v Northern Symphony

Another simple dream...Another crazy notion: To make a sequel to our Grand Scheme by making an extended great loop starting from our home in Nova Scotia. One boat, two so-called adults, one or two children, and one cat.

17 July 2011 | Mahone Bay, NS
13 July 2011 | Clarks Harbour, NS
04 July 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
22 June 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
20 June 2011 | Richmond, ME
19 June 2011 | Rockport, MA
16 June 2011 | Gloucester, MA
15 June 2011 | Sandwich, MA
13 June 2011 | Point Judith, RI
12 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
08 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
06 June 2011 | New York, NY
05 June 2011 | New York, NY
01 June 2011 | Baltimore, MD
23 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
17 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
16 May 2011 | Selby Beach, MD
15 May 2011 | Crisfield, MD
14 May 2011 | Cape Charles, VA
12 May 2011 | Norfolk, VA

Small craft recovery day

02 March 2011 | Pelican Bay, FL
As you can see from the picture, Leslie got to retrieve our dingy today...The amazing thing is that this was only one of three small-craft recoveries of the day!

The first occurred as we were motoring up the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway (GIWW) which runs through the sounds behind barrier islands that separate the waterway from the Gulf of Mexico. As we were crossing a large sound with a fair chop being kicked up by 20-knot wind gusts, we saw a small fishing boat ahead that seemed to be anchored. As we approached, we realized they were drifting (which fishing boats do all the time) when they started waving oars and hats, which fishing boats don't normally do. We investigated. It turned out that it was an older gentleman (82) who had taken a couple of visiting relatives out for a morning boat ride, had hit a shoal and sheared the pin in his outboard, rendering it an effective noisemaker with no propulsive capability...They had paddles but were completely overpowered by the wind, waves, and current.

Communication was interesting as English was not his best language and German isn't Anne's best, but we figured things out enough that we were able to tow them and, with eyes glued to our depth sounder and fingers twitching on the engine controls, bring them into a small channel to the entry of the canal where they needed to go and well out of the wind and currents.

Several hours later, having made our way into Pelican Bay just off of Cayo Costa State Park, we anchored and I lowered our dingy and prepped it for use. Somewhere in the process of unhooking, retieing, untangling, and such I missed a step and the dingy floated free...helped by the same 20-knot winds. We quickly launched the kayak and Leslie paddled out and retrieved our errant inflatable.

And then later, as Anne, Evelyn, and Leslie were taking the dingy to shore, they saw somebody else's kayak adrift and the person rowing after it in his dingy! They altered course to intercept, but the rowboat got there first.

Maybe this was why they had small craft warnings posted?
Comments
Vessel Name: Northern Symphony
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Catalina 36, Tall Rig
Hailing Port: Lunenburg, NS
Crew: The Wightmans
About: Colin (skipper), Anne, Evelyn, Leslie, and Scourge-of-the-Sea, our boat kitty.
Northern Symphony's Photos - Main
From our 2010 visit
No Photos
Created 11 December 2010
A collection of photos showing various parts and stages of our refit during the spring of 2010
No Photos
Created 6 June 2010