The Grander Scheme: s/v Northern Symphony

Another simple dream...Another crazy notion: To make a sequel to our Grand Scheme by making an extended great loop starting from our home in Nova Scotia. One boat, two so-called adults, one or two children, and one cat.

17 July 2011 | Mahone Bay, NS
13 July 2011 | Clarks Harbour, NS
04 July 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
22 June 2011 | Yarmouth, NS
20 June 2011 | Richmond, ME
19 June 2011 | Rockport, MA
16 June 2011 | Gloucester, MA
15 June 2011 | Sandwich, MA
13 June 2011 | Point Judith, RI
12 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
08 June 2011 | Mystic, CT
06 June 2011 | New York, NY
05 June 2011 | New York, NY
01 June 2011 | Baltimore, MD
23 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
17 May 2011 | Baltimore, MD
16 May 2011 | Selby Beach, MD
15 May 2011 | Crisfield, MD
14 May 2011 | Cape Charles, VA
12 May 2011 | Norfolk, VA

Not at all Dismal

07 May 2011 | South Mills, NC
We pushed long and far today but oh, was it worth it!

We got started late because, when we got up the world was limited to a thirty-foot radius: We were in very thick fog. It was amazing, actually...couldn't even tell which way the boat was pointing without looking at the compass. We went ahead and got everything prepped so that when, after eight in the morning, the fog suddenly lifted, we were underway within minutes. Most of the day was an unending straight-line motor run down the Alligator river directly into the wind which gradually died down until it was almost a flat calm as we continued across the Albemarle Sound and made our way to Elizabeth City.

Now, Elizabeth City is a nice place to stop and we enjoyed our stay on their free docks last fall, but it there were still hours of daylight left so we continued on up the river that flows from the dismal swamp. As we proceeded, the river gradually narrowed and began to twist around. The banks of the river were lush with new growth of all kinds and the water became mirror smooth, reflecting the low-angle sunlight and transforming the entire stretch into a magically beautiful scene. For those of you having trouble figuring out the picture, it was taken looking straight down from the bow...

We have anchored in the start of the Dismal Swamp canal, just before the entry lock. It will open at 8:30 tomorrow morning and we'll be ready for it, even if the fog returns...the name is Dismal, but the scenery is anything but!
Comments
Vessel Name: Northern Symphony
Vessel Make/Model: 1990 Catalina 36, Tall Rig
Hailing Port: Lunenburg, NS
Crew: The Wightmans
About: Colin (skipper), Anne, Evelyn, Leslie, and Scourge-of-the-Sea, our boat kitty.
Northern Symphony's Photos - Main
From our 2010 visit
No Photos
Created 11 December 2010
A collection of photos showing various parts and stages of our refit during the spring of 2010
No Photos
Created 6 June 2010