Symphony in Sea

23 November 2013
23 November 2013
14 November 2013 | Various
03 November 2013
21 October 2013 | Louisiades
20 October 2013 | Louisiades
19 October 2013 | Louisiades
18 October 2013 | Louisiades
17 October 2013 | Louisiades
16 October 2013 | Louisiades
14 October 2013 | Louisiades
13 October 2013 | Louisiades
12 October 2013 | Louisiades
11 October 2013 | Louisiades
10 October 2013 | Louisiades
09 October 2013 | Louisiades
08 October 2013 | Louisiades
07 October 2013 | Louisiades
06 October 2013 | Louisiades
05 October 2013 | Louisiades

Preparation for departure

21 October 2013 | Louisiades
Sue
Boat preparation day. With departure set for 'tomorrow', we had an extensive list of things to do before we would be ready to leave. Windows had to be taped, diesel tanks filled, dinghy deflated and packed away, engine checked, rig checked, inner forestay rigged again, everything outside strapped down, inside stuff stowed and surfaces cleared, passage food prepared (incorporating as much fresh stuff as possible) bread baked, cupboards reorganised for easy passage access, route prepared, batteries charged, sheets changed, Customs alerted... the list goes on.

Taking a break from preparation, we went ashore to visit the school with our remaining bags of school supplies. St Ann's is quite a large and developed school with almost 200 students, but barely staffed with only 4 teachers! Classes of at least 30 children each were in full swing when we arrived, although some of those were working independently with the teachers having to divide their time between classrooms. We met the head teacher, Matilda, and Martin, the school chaplain. They seemed pleased with our interest in the school, and our donations. Martin showed us the church too, which was the most modern we've seen, built on a concrete slab and with paintings hung all around the walls depicting the Passion of the Christ.

During the children's lunch break, Andy and Kelli were mobbed when they started giving out lollies and balloons. They almost needed helicopter extraction!
Soon, it was back to the boat to complete our passage preparations. Andy cooked a butterflied lamb roast in his barbeque for dinner, which we had with baked veggies, none of us able to face fish or lobster (or able to think of any new and exciting ways to prepare them). It was our last dinner in the Louisiades, as the sun set in shades of orange and lemon, and we contemplated a return, after all this, to normal life.

Next stop: Australia.
Comments
Vessel Name: Symphony
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42 MkII
Hailing Port: Pittwater, Sydney
Crew: Graeme, Sue & Jamie Baxter

Symphony

Who: Graeme, Sue & Jamie Baxter
Port: Pittwater, Sydney