Sail Away With Sherpa

12 June 2012 | Marina Taina
11 June 2012 | Marina Taina
10 June 2012 | Marina Taina
08 June 2012 | Marina Taina
07 June 2012 | Marina Taina
06 June 2012 | Yacht Quay to Marina Taina
04 June 2012 | Yacht Quay, Papeete, Tahiti
04 June 2012 | Yacht Quay, Papeete, Tahiti
03 June 2012 | Yacht Quay, Papeete, Tahiti
02 June 2012 | Underway, Fakarava to Tahiti
01 June 2012 | Underway, Fakarava to Tahiti
31 May 2012 | Underway, Fakarava to Tahiti
30 May 2012 | At anchor, Fakarava, Tuomotus
29 May 2012 | At anchor, Fakarava, Tuomotus
29 May 2012 | At anchor, Fakarava, Tuomotus
28 May 2012 | Overnight Sail, Kauehi to Fakarava, Tuomotus
26 May 2012 | At Anchor, Kauehi, Tuomotus
22 May 2012 | Underway-Nuku Hiva to Kauehi, Tuomotus
19 May 2012 | At Anchor Daniels Bay, Nuku Hiva

Still fixiin boats and island tours

04 June 2012 | Yacht Quay, Papeete, Tahiti
John
Our mechanic arrives back with cables in hand, we decided to replace them all since we had the whole thing apart. It took a bit of time, but all came back together as planned. We were operational again.

Pete and Paul had signed up for a half day island 4X4 tour. Which sounded like a lot of fun, but I wasn't sure if the job was going to be finished so had to pass on it. The 4X4 picked them up at the tourist office and off they went. They picked up other passengers at some of the resorts, but they got an extra special part of the tour, one that comes about every 118 years, the Transit of Venus.

The Transit of Venus was happening today, and the tour stopped at Point Venus, where stargazers and astronomers had come from all over the world to experience this unique event. There were telescopes setup for them, and they were ale to witness it. Wow, did I miss out on that one. Captain Cook was also here in Tahiti in the 1700's to witness the same thing, part of his funding was for scientific purposes of the transit, but the equipment of the time wasn't adequate to get the measurements they were hoping for. It was all in an effort, I believe, to measure how far the Sun is away from us.

The tour took them up through the interior, to waterfalls and the jungle. The interior is the collapsed cauldron of the volcano. The driver also took Pete over to the airport, where Linda was flying back home to CA, he was hoping to see her here, rather then hen he returned in a day or two.

as we were in expedition mode again, Paul and I went out for a bite, I had spotted a nice restaurant a day or so before, and was hoping it was open, Le Ville Gourmande. As luck would have it, it was. It turned out to be a wonderful place, excellent food, at a fair price. Highly recommended, I don't think I saw it in any of the guide books.

Tomorrow we'll move Sherpa to Marina Taina and get her settled before her crew departs for the states and end their journeys.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sherpa
Vessel Make/Model: Tartan 37
Hailing Port: Santa Barbara
Crew: John, Christina, Jonathan, Pete, Paul and other adventurers
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/t37sherpa/

Getting Lost by Finding Paradise

Who: John, Christina, Jonathan, Pete, Paul and other adventurers
Port: Santa Barbara