TABU SORO - Never Give Up

06 September 2023 | Home with Mom
19 September 2022 | Rotuma Island, Fiji
19 September 2022
19 September 2022
07 July 2022 | Currently in Savusavu with internet
02 June 2022 | Vuda Marina
15 December 2021 | Vuda Marina
26 November 2021
26 November 2021
20 October 2021 | Makogai Island
20 October 2021
20 October 2021
20 October 2021
20 October 2021
20 October 2021 | Savusavu, Vanua Levu
15 August 2021 | SavuSavu
15 August 2021 | Port Denarau, Viti Levu
15 August 2021 | Yasawa-I rara
23 July 2021 | Yasawa Island - South End
23 July 2021 | Naviti Island - West

Fijian Independence Day

12 October 2019 | Vuda Marina, near Nadi Fiji
Diane Brown | HOT
Fiji Independence Day
12 October 2019

We arrived in time for Fiji Independence Day and a Lolo celebration at the resort here. Not much going on in town as the capital is in Suva where they have parades and speeches by their president. We joined the afternoon feast here at Vuda just in time to see a helicopter towing the Fijian flag along the coast. Children had some firecrackers and sticks but it seemed pretty laid back compared to US July 4th celebrations.

Our inverter accidentally got returned to the States so thanks to Peter at Svendensons' we are awaiting its re-arrival. Meanwhile John is busy recalibrating our solar and battery controllers trying to improve our charge holding ability. We cannot even hook to shore power 220 without the inverter so my canvas and shade projects must wait. Drying out and doing laundry has made the boat smell better but we are now fighting tiny little ants aboard.

We have not yet gone into Nadi or Lautoka due to the holiday and weekends but did find fresh vegetables and eggs at the Saturday Vuda Market at the next resort. We have gotten to know our immediate neighbors intimately due to the close proximity. Many boats, including our Danish friends, are watching for a weather window to check out for New Zealand. Daily there is action in the coral as the marina skiff unties boats from the center ball and pulls them to the middle in order to transit out of the circle. The staff here are so very friendly and make a huge effort to know you by name. Each day I am learning and using new Fijian words. There is a large construction project here for the new Vuda mega-yacht marina and resort with booms across the reef to prevent contamination. It is not something that could happen in the bay area. Their construction dumpsters run slowly by the security shack whenever the tide is low enough for them to work. There is also a small scale railway track nearby for the sugar cane transport and we can hear the horn and bells for that when it is quiet. The Boat Shed restaurant has music on Friday and Sundays so we plan on eating out tonight.

Many thanks to our friends who visited Carlos at Maya Paleque this Friday and sent us pictures of their amazing Margaritas!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Tabu Soro
Vessel Make/Model: Hans Christian 38T
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: John Dinwiddie &. Diane Brown Dinwiddie
About: John has been in the marine industry and before that construction for 30 years. Diane has been in hospital facility construction. We joined forces about 10 years ago and focused on the refit of Tabu Soro.
Extra: We both belonged to jeep clubs in the Bay Area and did many of the same runs. Diane was warned to stay away from the Santa Rosa 4x4's as they were a little crazy.
Tabu Soro's Photos - Main
CRUISING TABU SORO
92 Photos
Created 16 May 2020
End of our 2019 Cruising Season
72 Photos
Created 8 October 2019
33 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
2019 pics
16 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
19 Photos
Created 11 July 2019
24 Photos
Created 25 June 2019
2019 Cruising Upload from Nuku Hiva
41 Photos
Created 20 May 2019
January- March on the outside of Baha and Puerto Vallarta
No Photos
Created 23 February 2019
Pacific Coast Transit
15 Photos
Created 31 December 2018
Preparation. Leading up to actual transit
11 Photos
Created 17 September 2018