TABU SORO - Never Give Up

06 September 2023 | Home with Mom
19 September 2022 | Rotuma Island, Fiji
19 September 2022
19 September 2022
07 July 2022 | Currently in Savusavu with internet
02 June 2022 | Vuda Marina
15 December 2021 | Vuda Marina
26 November 2021
26 November 2021
20 October 2021 | Makogai Island
20 October 2021
20 October 2021
20 October 2021
20 October 2021
20 October 2021 | Savusavu, Vanua Levu
15 August 2021 | SavuSavu
15 August 2021 | Port Denarau, Viti Levu
15 August 2021 | Yasawa-I rara
23 July 2021 | Yasawa Island - South End
23 July 2021 | Naviti Island - West

Spring Rains & First Corona Virus Case in Fiji

19 March 2020 | Suva Harbor
Diane Brown | Rain and more Rain
Sailing by its nature is fairly isolating; with weeks or more between countries. I was confident we would be very good at self isolating on Tabu Soro especially with all the new supplies brought back from US. After the flight to Fiji and what was happening in Seattle at the time we left, felt it prudent to take precautions once we got ourselves provisioned in Lautoka. We had spent the first two weeks just anchoring in remote locations and I did come down with a cold/flu that was very mild so we waited longer to see if John would show symptoms. Nada, so once we hit Suva we did go into town a couple times to the open farmers market and the indoor markets where there was no sign of panic of even caution. Another day we went to the Fiji Museum which was pretty empty but a must-see of the real things before you buy any souvenirs here. It has been raining solid for another five days and we are feeling cabin fever. We have run out of chores and have organized the many cubbies in the boat. John even organized the canned goods by use date! The only canned goods we have left from the US are some cream of mushroom soup and a couple cans of tomato paste and tuna. The rule stands that if you don't eat it on shore, then don't take it cruising. Binge reading and YouTubes on free diving and underwater photography, my goals for the cruising season, are getting old. The forced isolation versus self-inflicted solo sailing seems to irritate more. Maybe it is just the monsoonal rains getting to us.

Today the rain has let up a bit and we went into the Royal Suva Yacht Club to see if going to town was even an option as just yesterday the first case of corona virus was confirmed back in our home port of Lautoka about 60 miles away. Fiji government has locked down schools and entire perimeters of town within 24 hours of the confirmation in Lautoka. They also established two farmers markets at the outside of the lockdown areas to assure food supplies for those in quarantine as well as those who usually go into Lautoka for major provisions.

Friday and Saturdays are big open market days and usually jammed in Suva. We hailed a taxi no problem from the Yacht Club in the morning drizzle and waited to see what the crowds were like. Our driver cautioned us that produce may be smaller and more expensive today due to all the rain and flooding and some vendors would not have made it into town. Nothing about a virus. A fair crowd of people on the streets but not the normal chaotic loud clamor. John refuses to use his hearing aids on market days as the sounds just overwhelms him now matter what setting he uses.

John had noted a butcher shop last time we were in town so that was the first stop. We have not seen beef or pork since arriving in Fiji. John stocked up our freezer to capacity after vacuum sealing into smaller portions. Many of the vendor tables were covered in mats and not open but plenty of produce and eager vendors so we topped off our veggies for another couple weeks of possible isolation. It definitely had slacked off in the farmer market; but I'm not sure if it is due to the weather or the virus arriving in Fiji.

We intend to enjoy this down time and continue to learn more about ourselves and the world around us. We just wish we could share it with all of you.
Be safe,
Comments
Vessel Name: Tabu Soro
Vessel Make/Model: Hans Christian 38T
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: John Dinwiddie &. Diane Brown Dinwiddie
About: John has been in the marine industry and before that construction for 30 years. Diane has been in hospital facility construction. We joined forces about 10 years ago and focused on the refit of Tabu Soro.
Extra: We both belonged to jeep clubs in the Bay Area and did many of the same runs. Diane was warned to stay away from the Santa Rosa 4x4's as they were a little crazy.
Tabu Soro's Photos - Main
CRUISING TABU SORO
92 Photos
Created 16 May 2020
End of our 2019 Cruising Season
72 Photos
Created 8 October 2019
33 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
2019 pics
16 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
19 Photos
Created 11 July 2019
24 Photos
Created 25 June 2019
2019 Cruising Upload from Nuku Hiva
41 Photos
Created 20 May 2019
January- March on the outside of Baha and Puerto Vallarta
No Photos
Created 23 February 2019
Pacific Coast Transit
15 Photos
Created 31 December 2018
Preparation. Leading up to actual transit
11 Photos
Created 17 September 2018