TABU SORO - Never Give Up

06 September 2023 | Home with Mom
19 September 2022 | Rotuma Island, Fiji
19 September 2022
19 September 2022
07 July 2022 | Currently in Savusavu with internet
02 June 2022 | Vuda Marina
15 December 2021 | Vuda Marina
26 November 2021
26 November 2021
20 October 2021 | Makogai Island
20 October 2021
20 October 2021
20 October 2021
20 October 2021
20 October 2021 | Savusavu, Vanua Levu
15 August 2021 | SavuSavu
15 August 2021 | Port Denarau, Viti Levu
15 August 2021 | Yasawa-I rara
23 July 2021 | Yasawa Island - South End
23 July 2021 | Naviti Island - West

Free to move about Fiji - Manta Rays

28 June 2020 | Yasawa Islands
Diane Brown | Cloudy and thunderstorms
First Stranded Yacht Arrives from Marquesas'/Tahiti
25 June 2020

This is a close knit community just now so when a new boat arrives it is NEWS. There have only been three special needs or extenuating circumstances arrivals in the last four months. They were required to anchor outside the Port for one additional week (plus their days of passage) and have multiple swab tests prior to arriving on the docks. Meanwhile they had to pay for emergency supplies and transport to and from their anchorage site. There is an Auzzie, American and ?? stuck at sea for six months. Just turned loose on Port Denarau and their first stop was the Rhum Bar and then Cantos Bar/Grill. Whats not to like?

There are about six restaurants and the Yacht Shop struggling to stay going over the last four months. The big guys like Hard Rock Cafe just cut their losses and shut down apparently. Four months ago the place was like Disneyland with resort guests in every square foot. Now completely empty except some night life with the cruisers still waiting for permits. When in port we have tried to stagger our support (also their cooking is way better than mine). Signs of re-stocking have begun since the Prime Minister announced super yachts can begin arriving via blue paths as part of the Fijian Bula Bubble.


27 June 2020
Free to Roam Fiji

Thank you for all the FaceBook messages of joy you shared when the Fijian Cruising Permit arrived. We were overwhelmed at those who follow our unusual journey. The staff in the Port
Denarau office were laughing when I almost cried with joy when presented with the permit.

Dolphins greeted us on our first full day of sailing and they always bring sheer delight. And for the first time in four months we caught fish (too small to keep). The Manta Ray population is usually in Fiji waters during June and July and this year their numbers are said to be very high due to the quiet last four months. We are headed North in the Yasawa Islands Group, stopping nightly at old spots we have enjoyed, trying to get to the manta ray areas now that we can travel. For me they are like a sacred animal that always knows it's course with a giant body and gentle spirit.

Sea Mercy has asked that we query villages as to their health and food status as the government has their hands busy on the main islands. Once you are in the outer islands it is expected to bring a gift of kava/yaqona to the chief and the sharing in the kava ceremony to be protected by the chief. This includes sharing bowls of kava which we are not prepared to do at this point- mostly for their safety. So I am not sure how well we will be received or how much information we can gather for Sea Mercy. As Ed said, one island at a time.

There is a feeling of trepidation getting out here again for me. For three months now we have been in a safe, comfy pattern going back and forth for supplies or boat work, mixing with the same locals and cruisers with daily clan yoga classes. Now each mile we sail has to checked and cross checked for reefs, rocks, set and safety. Our headsets are back in use for each new location to avoid anchoring over coral. I must discipline myself again to incorporate some type of swimming, TRX or yoga into each day. We both love living on the edge and using all our senses but it was exhausting these first two days to be on high alert again!

Thinking and praying for all of you who are also navigating strange times.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tabu Soro
Vessel Make/Model: Hans Christian 38T
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: John Dinwiddie &. Diane Brown Dinwiddie
About: John has been in the marine industry and before that construction for 30 years. Diane has been in hospital facility construction. We joined forces about 10 years ago and focused on the refit of Tabu Soro.
Extra: We both belonged to jeep clubs in the Bay Area and did many of the same runs. Diane was warned to stay away from the Santa Rosa 4x4's as they were a little crazy.
Tabu Soro's Photos - Main
CRUISING TABU SORO
92 Photos
Created 16 May 2020
End of our 2019 Cruising Season
72 Photos
Created 8 October 2019
33 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
2019 pics
16 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
19 Photos
Created 11 July 2019
24 Photos
Created 25 June 2019
2019 Cruising Upload from Nuku Hiva
41 Photos
Created 20 May 2019
January- March on the outside of Baha and Puerto Vallarta
No Photos
Created 23 February 2019
Pacific Coast Transit
15 Photos
Created 31 December 2018
Preparation. Leading up to actual transit
11 Photos
Created 17 September 2018