TABU SORO - Never Give Up

06 September 2023 | Home with Mom
19 September 2022 | Rotuma Island, Fiji
19 September 2022
19 September 2022
07 July 2022 | Currently in Savusavu with internet
02 June 2022 | Vuda Marina
15 December 2021 | Vuda Marina
26 November 2021
26 November 2021
20 October 2021 | Makogai Island
20 October 2021
20 October 2021
20 October 2021
20 October 2021
20 October 2021 | Savusavu, Vanua Levu
15 August 2021 | SavuSavu
15 August 2021 | Port Denarau, Viti Levu
15 August 2021 | Yasawa-I rara
23 July 2021 | Yasawa Island - South End
23 July 2021 | Naviti Island - West

Curly in Savusavu

01 September 2020 | Savusavu
Diane Brown | Spring with afternoon showers
31 August 2020
Curly in Savusavu

We've been hanging out on a mooring at Copra Shed for a week now awaiting a call from Immigrations approving our Yacht Special Purpose one year visa. At first it is exciting to be back in a town with stores and restaurants to have lunch out and the yacht club bar for sundowners. After about four days John gets antsy so I called Immigrations to see if any word on visa after one week and if we can leave for a while. They advised against our leaving since our visa has expired and is due any day. Verbally she assured me they cannot fine us since we filed plenty early for the extension.

We listen to the cruisers net run by Curly each morning for local weather and happenings and use his website "curlycarswell.blogspot.com" for fishing clues and parts sourcing. Curly in a normal season does many seminars for yachts checking in at Savusavu (before covid) full of local knowledge and navigation hazards, cyclone holes and even does routing and shares his own beloved anchorage listings with coordinates. This year has been pretty slow so we asked if he would do a mini seminar for us. We met him at my new favorite lunch spot the Surf and Turf which is close to where Curly is moored.

Curly is quite a character and has seen many folks come and go so once he and John had sized each others' skill set-up, I could sit back and observe. Fortunately John was able to hear him well which helped greatly with the transfer of knowledge. Curly also knows the back stories for the five or six boats that seem abandoned and which John has been speculating about since our first visit. His charting format is similar to the Steven Caldwell cruising guide from the 70's but with much improved GPS coordinates and many more anchorages and current resources. Other than a Lonely Planet and Moon Guides which are oriented to Fiji land and resort stays, there are precious few current cruising guides like in Mexico and Polynesia.
We spent a delightful rainy afternoon on the enclosed patio of Surf and Turf looking ahead to the next eight weeks of cruising before cyclone season sets in again November 1st.

Curly makes up his own fishing lures by modifying the barb and the head so they constantly turn more realistically, he also uses a shiny swivel to attract attention and beefs up the wire lead. I was surprised at how small the actual body is; but the hook is about the size we have been using. We got several and will change out our lines and stagger our runs. Sure would be lovely if it works!

We have made tentative reservations at Vuda Marina for the 20/21 cyclone season in hope we get to fly to New Zealand for Americas Cup in January if the borders reopen in time. John is confident Vuda will take care of the boat in our absence.

Anyhow, in a holding pattern waiting for Immigrations to call and hope to get out of town before the gnarly weather front shows up this weekend.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tabu Soro
Vessel Make/Model: Hans Christian 38T
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: John Dinwiddie &. Diane Brown Dinwiddie
About: John has been in the marine industry and before that construction for 30 years. Diane has been in hospital facility construction. We joined forces about 10 years ago and focused on the refit of Tabu Soro.
Extra: We both belonged to jeep clubs in the Bay Area and did many of the same runs. Diane was warned to stay away from the Santa Rosa 4x4's as they were a little crazy.
Tabu Soro's Photos - Main
CRUISING TABU SORO
92 Photos
Created 16 May 2020
End of our 2019 Cruising Season
72 Photos
Created 8 October 2019
33 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
2019 pics
16 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
19 Photos
Created 11 July 2019
24 Photos
Created 25 June 2019
2019 Cruising Upload from Nuku Hiva
41 Photos
Created 20 May 2019
January- March on the outside of Baha and Puerto Vallarta
No Photos
Created 23 February 2019
Pacific Coast Transit
15 Photos
Created 31 December 2018
Preparation. Leading up to actual transit
11 Photos
Created 17 September 2018