TABU SORO - Never Give Up

06 September 2023 | Home with Mom
19 September 2022 | Rotuma Island, Fiji
19 September 2022
19 September 2022
07 July 2022 | Currently in Savusavu with internet
02 June 2022 | Vuda Marina
15 December 2021 | Vuda Marina
26 November 2021
26 November 2021
20 October 2021 | Makogai Island
20 October 2021
20 October 2021
20 October 2021
20 October 2021
20 October 2021 | Savusavu, Vanua Levu
15 August 2021 | SavuSavu
15 August 2021 | Port Denarau, Viti Levu
15 August 2021 | Yasawa-I rara
23 July 2021 | Yasawa Island - South End
23 July 2021 | Naviti Island - West

Suva to Yasawa's

11 December 2020
Diane Brown | Windy and partly sunny & rain
20 November 2020
Rovodrau Bay by Pacific Harbor
Mr Toads Wild Ride

Crazy run for the day into Pacific Harbor area. Winds were 15-25 knots up and down all day which made for multiple sail adjustments and reefed sails up and then back out. We only stayed one night but would like to return to try the reef shark dives in the area.


Cuvu Harbor,

Another blustery day but consistent winds. What was not consistent was our fishing. We hooked up over and over but lost four lures in one day - a new record.

25 Nov
Sharks everywhere!

We have been bouncing around in increments of five hour sails heading gradually back to the barn at Vuda Marina for the cyclone season. We ended up behind Musket Cove for a night.

Couldn't quite take civilization yet so headed north to the Yasawa's to hide behind Vanua Levu and Navandra Islands. They are almost connected two one another with a reef you can just walk between at low tide. It is exposed to the West but protected on all other sides and we had spent some lovely days lying in hammocks and reading here.
Entry always starts with a bit of chicane turn to enter past the outer reef then you are so deep impossible to anchor so you have to slowly drift in with someone at the helm and at the bow watching for shallow spots. There are only three spots shallow enough to anchor unless you are a catamaran or swing keel so when we came around the bend we were delighted to see the harbor empty and to have our choice of spots.

But this year it is quite windy and rolly so we put out the flopper stopper while watching a couple black tip sharks circle the boat curiously. When John launched the flashy flopper stopper they disappeared then came back with two or three friends. By the time we had lunch they were up to eight friends. They continued to cycle the boat aggressively while I made Thanksgiving dinner. We decided not to swim despite the gorgeous clear water after some local fisherman came and speared a shark and left for their village to celebrate.

https://youtu.be/VOZj0dGVofI

We have used up most of our fresh vegetables and fruit but have a whole chicken to brine and old bread to make stuffing with some canned mushrooms and squash. Not a traditional 
Southern menu but felt ok. Today I prepped the bread for stuffing and started to brine the chicken, made banana and sourdough bread plus today's menu of BBQ/pressure cooker ribs and 3 bean cucumber salad and felt like it was not good enough???? Whats up with that?? Yet, I am so thankful to be here.

A funny thing happens out here with holidays. I start out thinking no big deal as long as I can call family on the actual day they celebrate which means wifi or cellular access. John's Voda phone has coverage here in Vanua Levu so seems to qualify. Still as I fix our holiday dinner a day earlier, I think about the scones and traditional items that mean so much and miss the chaos and giggles.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tabu Soro
Vessel Make/Model: Hans Christian 38T
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: John Dinwiddie &. Diane Brown Dinwiddie
About: John has been in the marine industry and before that construction for 30 years. Diane has been in hospital facility construction. We joined forces about 10 years ago and focused on the refit of Tabu Soro.
Extra: We both belonged to jeep clubs in the Bay Area and did many of the same runs. Diane was warned to stay away from the Santa Rosa 4x4's as they were a little crazy.
Tabu Soro's Photos - Main
CRUISING TABU SORO
92 Photos
Created 16 May 2020
End of our 2019 Cruising Season
72 Photos
Created 8 October 2019
33 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
2019 pics
16 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
19 Photos
Created 11 July 2019
24 Photos
Created 25 June 2019
2019 Cruising Upload from Nuku Hiva
41 Photos
Created 20 May 2019
January- March on the outside of Baha and Puerto Vallarta
No Photos
Created 23 February 2019
Pacific Coast Transit
15 Photos
Created 31 December 2018
Preparation. Leading up to actual transit
11 Photos
Created 17 September 2018