TABU SORO - Never Give Up

06 September 2023 | Home with Mom
19 September 2022 | Rotuma Island, Fiji
19 September 2022
19 September 2022
07 July 2022 | Currently in Savusavu with internet
02 June 2022 | Vuda Marina
15 December 2021 | Vuda Marina
26 November 2021
26 November 2021
20 October 2021 | Makogai Island
20 October 2021
20 October 2021
20 October 2021
20 October 2021
20 October 2021 | Savusavu, Vanua Levu
15 August 2021 | SavuSavu
15 August 2021 | Port Denarau, Viti Levu
15 August 2021 | Yasawa-I rara
23 July 2021 | Yasawa Island - South End
23 July 2021 | Naviti Island - West

Our First Guest!

19 September 2022
Diane Brown | Perfect for snorkelling!
Our First Guest!
July 2022

Sailor's rule says if you have a schedule, be ready for trouble. Sure enough we had pushed it staying in Natewa Bay because of the gorgeous reefs and people so had to push by with a short visit to George and into Savusavu. We had a hint it was busy when six boats anchored outside at Cousteau resort but maybe just prep to leave once wind warnings rescinded. Rain and short down pours hid the town moorings until upon them and we realised the entire bay was full-up. One ball remained but when I tried to catch the loop it was so full of barnacle crud I lost the boat hook and we had to do an abort and leave without provisions. We joined the group out at the point by Cousteau and pulled up weather conditions.

There is one narrow pass with recent and past sunken ships on one side that we have been taking regularly when the tide was in our favour but the current through is maybe 3-4 knots so you have to play or fight to keep steerage either direction. We decided to double reef the main for stability and back up and went for it a bit early current wise-after an amazing view of a whale breaching in front of the entrance. We must have been at slack as this was the calmest easiest passage ever! Normally we would anchor and pause to recover on the other side but decided to push on as it was still only mid-morning. While threading through familiar reefs with sails full up and down wind to our stop near the wharf we were shocked to be in 20ft/7 m of water instead of the 100/30 meters on the charts. A total cluster trying to pull down sail and start motor to retreat. We did a huge loop to the outside of the reefs, adding hours, but ended up safely at the nights' intended anchorage.

We ended up crossing Bligh Waters with huge lovely following winds the next day and into Nadi airport area and /Vuda to pick up parts and provision and deep clean Tabu Soro ready for Deirdre's arrival 5 a.m. next morning. Beru ,our taxi driver, advised we did not need to leave until we heard the flight arriving overhead. There is almost no traffic and we arrived about 6 am only to wait another hour as Dee had to clear through along with the other flight from LAX. She had a suitcase full of parts and camera gear and we just hoped they had not stopped to examine her bag. So excited to see her come through those doors!
She had to do a covid test within 72 hours and was amused to find it done by the marina office staff. So off we went to town to town to show her Lautoka and the fresh farm market and buy some kava. The next morning we where out of there and headed to Yasawas.

John had agonised for a month over Plans A, B and C; each with varying degrees of sailing since Dee is a great sailor. Finally he asked Deirdre what she wanted from her first holiday in a while and she went with sail some, swim every day! Which was plan A which did not require overnight sailing. We had a delightful time showing her some of our favourite Yasawa Island spots, including and abbreviated sevusevu and village tour, Manta Ray pass, Fijian night and buffet at Octopus resort and making new friends wherever she went. I still have the young engineer at Blue Lagoon asking if she is coming back. We wrapped up with a visit to Musket Cove as many friends said she had to go there then into Port Denarau to catch her flight at Nadi Airport.

I learned a new game called 'Hive' with the tiles she brought and can now play her online when we have internet service. Thank you Deirdre for sharing with us. John is sure he gave you some bad cruising habits but you were terrific!
Comments
Vessel Name: Tabu Soro
Vessel Make/Model: Hans Christian 38T
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: John Dinwiddie &. Diane Brown Dinwiddie
About: John has been in the marine industry and before that construction for 30 years. Diane has been in hospital facility construction. We joined forces about 10 years ago and focused on the refit of Tabu Soro.
Extra: We both belonged to jeep clubs in the Bay Area and did many of the same runs. Diane was warned to stay away from the Santa Rosa 4x4's as they were a little crazy.
Tabu Soro's Photos - Main
CRUISING TABU SORO
92 Photos
Created 16 May 2020
End of our 2019 Cruising Season
72 Photos
Created 8 October 2019
33 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
2019 pics
16 Photos
Created 18 September 2019
19 Photos
Created 11 July 2019
24 Photos
Created 25 June 2019
2019 Cruising Upload from Nuku Hiva
41 Photos
Created 20 May 2019
January- March on the outside of Baha and Puerto Vallarta
No Photos
Created 23 February 2019
Pacific Coast Transit
15 Photos
Created 31 December 2018
Preparation. Leading up to actual transit
11 Photos
Created 17 September 2018