29 October 2013 | Sag Harbor, NY
25 June 2013 | Sag Harbor, NY
18 June 2013 | Port Washington, NY
16 June 2013 | Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
13 June 2013 | CapeMay
13 June 2013 | Chesapeake
08 June 2013 | Washington DC
15 May 2013 | North Carolina
15 May 2013 | North Carolina
15 May 2013 | North Carolina
15 May 2013 | Florida and S. Carolina
01 May 2013 | Marathon, Florida
01 May 2013 | Dry Tortuga, Florida
09 March 2013 | Isla Mujeres
09 March 2013 | Isla Mujeres
20 February 2013 | Isla Providencia
06 February 2013 | San Blas Panama
06 February 2013 | Portobelo, Panama
12 January 2013 | Green Turtle Cay, Panama

Easy Peasy?

15 May 2013 | North Carolina
Ann
We thought the ICW (Intercoastal Waterways) would just be boring, but not so, it is hard work. First we dealt with 65 knot winds in the squall and last night we dragged anchor. We had worried about the set that afternoon, but the mud makes for poor sets. The anchorage protected us from the North, the wind blowing at the moment, and given time the anchor would settle deeper in the mud. Just after dark the wind shifted from the South and perked up to 15 knots; so much for our settled anchor. Dave started to worry and set the anchor alarm, which went off two minutes later. I was up and hauling in the anchor. Kara was up asking what she could do to help. Seeing nothing to do she went to her bed to wait for the excitement to pass. Anchor up, now we just had to thread our way past the crab pots we had avoided that afternoon. They were hard to see in daylight - low in the water and painted black, but almost impossible at night. I kept the flashlight pointed in front of us, basically sure of 10 feet of clear water. I don't know how we missed them, but we did. Next it was the frantic search for safe moorage for the night. We could head to a dock at Coijack, but had 15 miles of the twistyest, turniest course. There was an anchorage across the ICW, but it had a hook, and few notes from Active Captain (notes from cruisers about the best and the worst you can find), but a few miles more would take us to Buck Island and two anchorages. The first gave us slightly better protection than where we just left, but we missed the turn. We were trying to find a tug and barge that was working its way down the waterway. The next had two anchor lights that were not bobbing around. Once again I found 10 feet of clear water and we worked our way into the deep water (seven feet this time.) The wind was now 10, and good protection from the SW and the anchor dug in well, obviously this was the place to stop for the night. I went to tell Kara that all was well, but she was asleep, the first crisis I've known her to handle by sleeping.
Comments
Vessel Name: Taking Flight
Vessel Make/Model: Nordic Yachts 40
Hailing Port: Seattle, Washington
Crew: David Rhoades, Ann Sutphen and Kara Rhoades
About: We are a family of three cruising in our Nordic 40 down the west coast of the United States into Mexico and Central America.

Taking Flight Adventures

Who: David Rhoades, Ann Sutphen and Kara Rhoades
Port: Seattle, Washington