Tarian's Travels!

A BIG BLOW!!!

24 June 2013 | Porto Vecchio, Corsica
Stella
Not what you think….ha ha…..we anchored in a big blow…..Force 6-8 winds……we decided to stay in Porto Vecchio a few days as the forecast was a big westerly expected Sunday & Monday…sure enough Sunday the wind started to blow up and during the night it was on & off pretty noisy on the boat, but we are getting used to it and slept OK considering. Monday morning the wind got stronger and stronger, such that a yacht on a buoy just ahead of us dragged back into another yacht on a buoy and bashed into each other. Obviously our concern was that they would eventually bash into us. At this time the wind was blowing F7-8, so there was nothing we could do except put all our fenders out and keep an eye on them. Thankfully our anchor was holding, having put out a massive amount of chain for the depth we were in….20 meters of chain…..1.5m water…..we weren’t planning on going anywhere unless we had to!!! Stu & I agreed that unless the yachts were getting to close for comfort or our anchor dragged, we would just sit it out….the forecast was for the winds to drop off Monday evening, so not too long a wait. Not long after we agreed this was our plan and putting out our fenders, a harbour master arrived in a rib to sort out the yachts. 2 young lads leaped aboard and got as many fenders in between them, they spent a good 20 mins a board and left. A while later they came back with a mature chap, again they stayed a while and shot off again. A third time they arrived and dragged the yacht away and lobbed out an anchor….see the before dragging pics and the bashing together pics in gallery. Fingers crossed the anchor works, as it is now right in front of us! Living the dream in 28-30’c…..loving it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tarian
Vessel Make/Model: Gemini 105 MC
Hailing Port: Chichester, UK
Crew: Stuart, Stella & Mitsi (the boxer dog)

Who: Stuart, Stella & Mitsi (the boxer dog)
Port: Chichester, UK