Tenaya Travels

04 April 2014 | Ao Po Marina, Phuket, Thailand
11 November 2013 | Koror, Palau
05 September 2013 | Kavieng, Papua New Guinea
05 September 2013 | The Louisiades, Papua New Guinea
12 August 2013 | Panapompom, Louisiades, Papua New Guinea
02 August 2013 | Panasia, Louisiades, Papua New Guinea
01 August 2013 | Panasia, Louisiades, Papua New Guinea
31 July 2013 | Panasia, Louisiades, Papua New Guinea
17 July 2013 | Cairns, Australia
30 June 2013 | Whitehaven Beach
17 June 2013
24 May 2013 | Gladstone Marina, Australia
15 March 2013 | Sydney Harbour
16 February 2013 | Pittwater, Australia
29 January 2013 | Coffs Harbour Marina, Australia
11 January 2013 | Brisbane, Australia
04 January 2013 | California
24 November 2012 | Fraser Island
03 November 2012 | Chesterfield Reefs

Palau to Phuket

04 April 2014 | Ao Po Marina, Phuket, Thailand
Katie
Floating on a mooring in Palau for three months surrounded by lush green islands with great diving and snorkeling was a nice respite from all the passages and traveling we've done in the last few years. Aside from a few six-week stints in anchorages or in California, we've been on the move.

But January 31 it was time to move again. We dropped the mooring line at Sam's Tours and sailed non-stop to Port Bonbonon, on Negros Island in the Philippines, where we refuelled and relaxed for two days before continuing on to Kota Kinabalu on Borneo. We sailed but mostly motored 701 miles and then 586.

Borneo! What an amazing place. Charlie at Sticky Rice Travel made sure we packed as much wildlife viewing into our two week stay as possible. 5 days in the Danum Valley at the research field center looking for creatures was definitely the highlight. This Western Tarsier is pretty much the cutest critter in the entire jungle.

We sailed straight from Kota Kinabalu to Singapore in 6 days and motored most of the 841 miles. All the AIS targets in Singapore crashed our chartplotter so we had to turn that valuable function off in order to have our electronic chart and radar work.

Our daughter, Corinne, flew to Singapore and sailed with us to Phuket, Thailand. We left Singapore planning to do an overnighter to Admiral Marina to check back into Malaysia and see Melaka but the conditions were ideal so we just kept going all the way to Penang. That was three days further north and another 549 miles. Two days of exploring Georgetown and we were off to the quiet Fjord anchorage in southern Langkawi before tying up in Telaga Harbour Marina for 3 days. Another 84 miles.

We celebrated reaching Thailand with dives at Ko Lipe just north of Langkawi, and snorkelling and kayaking at nearby Ko Adang for a few days. An overnighter with 10 hours of lightning and rounds of torrential rains ended shortly before we turned into the newly remodeled Ao Po Grand Marina. Another 141 miles.

So here we sit, sweltering. What was all the rush for? 3000 miles in two months! We are shipping Tenaya to Antwerp and had to be here the beginning of April. We are tired of being hot, of sweating all the time. Without adventures on land like those we had in Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu, the tropics no longer entice us. We definitely want to visit Africa but flying makes more sense to us than sailing round that enormous continent.
To see more stories and photos of the places we've visited, or where we'll be going next, go to: www.tenayatravels.com or 'Like' Tenayatravels on Facebook.

Comments
Vessel Name: Tenaya
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Hailing Port: San Diego, California
Crew: Jim & Katie Thomsen
About:
We bought Tenaya in Holland in 2006 and sailed her to the Med, across to the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal, across the Pacific to New Zealand. In 2012 we circumnavigated New Zealand and went back to Vanuatu, then to Australia. [...]
Extra: www.tenayatravels.com
Home Page: http://www.tenayatravels.com
Social:

tenayatravels.com

Who: Jim & Katie Thomsen
Port: San Diego, California
Visit Us at www.tenayatravels.com