sailing tequila

05 March 2024
17 February 2024
29 November 2023
06 July 2023
28 June 2023
19 May 2023
21 April 2023
23 April 2022
08 April 2022
26 September 2021
12 August 2021
21 May 2021
01 March 2021
21 February 2021

Galápagos Islands to the Marquesas

26 April 2020
Richard Hayward
An interesting start! Less than an hour out, and we got a message to say that French Polynesia was closed. Slightly worrying, but as we had already checked out and got our exit papers, and we were on our way, we decided to continue. We later got another message to say that we would be able to stop in the Marquesas for supplies and fuel, but would then have to continue to Tahiti where we could leave the boat while we returned home.

3 days
Very little wind, but when there is some we fly along! There is a strong current taking us in the right direction so progress is good. The rest of the time we have decided to motor, although we are heading a little further south to try and pick up the trade winds. We only have a limited amount of fuel, so will have to stop using the engine soon, but the weather forecast shows that we should be picking up the wind in another 24 hours or so. Approx 2650 miles to go

Day 8
2 days ago we finally picked up the wind. And the rain. We had our first squalls that day. These mini storms hit very quickly, and although you can see them coming in the day, you can’t at night, so you have to be ready. The wind speed doubles in about 5 seconds, and another 5 seconds later comes the rain. And it absolutely chucks it down. The raindrops turn all the water around the boat white, so that it literally looks like the sea is boiling. Quite something. Then we had 2 days of rain. Non stop. Drenching everything. Quite demoralising even though we were making good speed. I hadn’t imagined I would need my wet weather gear at this stage. This morning we decided to head south until we got out of the rain, regardless of where it took us! We are now back on track in the sun. 2169 miles to go.

Day 17
Making good progress, with only one small hitch. When fitting the watermaker, I didn’t allow for large swells when making the hole in the hull for the water inlet. This means that a lot of air is introduced to the system, which in turn means it won’t work. All is not lost however, as we can bypass the inlet, using a collection of buckets. It makes for an interesting hour, as it seems like some sort of game show. Will have to alter the position of the inlet next time the boat is out of the water. 1000 miles to go.

Day 24
300 miles to go and the wind has died completely. Having to motor which is never very pleasant. Makes the boat even hotter than normal. The flat sea did mean that we could see a couple of whales swimming nearby.

Day 27
Made it. 3174 miles to Nuku Hiva. A warm welcome, and meeting up with a few boats from earlier in our travels. Because of the lockdown we won’t be able to stay long, but at least we will be able to refuel and get some fresh fruit and veg. A beautiful place, and a pity we won’t be able to stay longer, but we’re in a better position than a lot of people at present.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tequila
Vessel Make/Model: Cabo Rico 38
Hailing Port: Dartmouth
Crew: Rich & Kate Hayward
Extra:
Tequila's Photos - Main
30 Photos
Created 19 January 2020
19 Photos
Created 12 December 2019
18 Photos
Created 3 November 2019
27 Photos
Created 7 September 2019