sailing tequila

05 March 2024
17 February 2024
29 November 2023
06 July 2023
28 June 2023
19 May 2023
21 April 2023
23 April 2022
08 April 2022
26 September 2021
12 August 2021
21 May 2021
01 March 2021
21 February 2021

Tahiti to Fiji

05 September 2020
Richard Hayward

A rather strange final week in Tahiti. We hadn’t managed to fix the outboard, which combined with the fact that we had lost one of the dinghy oars the week before, meant that we were going to struggle to get to and from the anchorage. When the weather was settled it was ok to use one oar as a paddle - slow, but we could at least get back and forth. Unfortunately it wasn’t always settled, when it became impossible. As we had quite a lot of paperwork to conclude before we could leave for Fiji, we begged a space in the (very expensive) marina. We then had a doctors appointment and arrangements had to be made for a covid test. The previous weekend, a French national had arrived to work, took the covid test, but went out partying before the results came in. This meant that by the end of the weekend there were 72 new cases. This meant that suddenly everyone was wearing masks for the first time, including us. There was a mild panic when we couldn’t have an appointment for a test as they were too busy, but we got one the next day, and the result the day after. A last minute stocking up and we were on our way.

Day 3
Light winds so far, but with the help of the engine, just about managing 100 miles a day. Trying not to use too much fuel in the first few days. Very hot.

Day 7
The wind soon picked up, and with it our speed. The wind continued to pick up speed, and soon we had very strong winds with big seas, and rain. In all, not very pleasant. Had to dig out my wet weather gear, which hadn’t seen action in a while. This continued for a couple of days, during which we both got little sleep because of the motion and noise, so were really tired. However the next day things had calmed down a bit, and for the last couple of days we have had some very fast sailing. Almost halfway.

Day 11
A few days of lovely fast downwind sailing. Some 140 miles per day, which is very fast for us. Have had to alter course as the original course took us through the islands of Tonga, and we have decided to skirt around the north of Tonga. This is because the islands are closed, and if someone were to approach us to question what we are doing, it would mean that the 14 day quarantine that is needed to get into Fiji, and which includes time at sea, would not count, and we would have to start again. Just not worth it.

Day15 (I think. It’s easy to lose track with the date line not helping matters)
Very nice sailing. Last few days we have made great progress, and should arrive sometime tomorrow.
During the passage we have experienced everything from dead calm to quite challenging and at all times the boat has been great. We have always felt completely safe, no matter what. She is not only the prettiest boat in the anchorage or marina, she is also totally seaworthy. If I had a hat on I would take it off to you, Bill Crealock, the designer of the Cabo Rico 38.

Arrived at Port Denerau in Fiji, where we had to spend 2 further days in the quarantine anchorage while waiting for the results of our covid test, then it was in to the marina for a well deserved beer.
Comments
Vessel Name: Tequila
Vessel Make/Model: Cabo Rico 38
Hailing Port: Dartmouth
Crew: Rich & Kate Hayward
Extra:
Tequila's Photos - Main
30 Photos
Created 19 January 2020
19 Photos
Created 12 December 2019
18 Photos
Created 3 November 2019
27 Photos
Created 7 September 2019