S/V Zephyr

LIFE IS AN ADVENTURE OR NOTHING AT ALL.

24 February 2014 | Elton, PA

Marathon to Key Largo

14 March 2012
cc/ warm and sunny
Although the wind was still from the east, we set out to test the waters. We thought we'd stick our nose out into Hawk Channel and see how the winds were pushing the waves. It was better than Sunday, so we decided to go for it. The waves were in the two to four foot range with an occasional boat soaker thrown in to keep us awake. All in all it wasn't a bad tripp up to Channel Five where we cut to the inside on a rising tide and snuck through the skinny cuts without touching bottom...but at times had only an inch or two to spare! We traversed 56 miles and anchored in Tarpon Bay off Key Largo. The first set of our anchor didn't hold and we found we had moved nearly a quarter of a mile when we noticed the sceenery was changing! We reanchored and got a good set this time and stayed put all night. This morning we awoke to calm waters and much less wind. We should be able to make Coconut Grove this afternoon. We have been on the boat without touching land for seven days now. Wonder if we'll have sea legs?
The picture is an example of cooking at sea...the stove is gimballed and is level. I, on the other hand, am not!
Comments