Thalia's Voyage

A chronicle of a 1985 Passport 40 sailing days with Pat & Judy O'Brien

Vessel Name: Thalia
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Oriental, NC
Crew: Pat & Judy O'Brien
About: Pat & Judy are old moutain people from Colorado exploring new adventures of the water world.
06 June 2012 | Bellhaven, NC
06 January 2012
24 December 2011 | Oriental, NC
19 October 2011
02 October 2011
25 September 2011
03 June 2011
02 June 2011 | Oriental to Ocracoke & Return
Recent Blog Posts
07 June 2012

Belhaven to Alligator River Swing Bridge

We left the slip at Belhaven Waterway Marina as Brenda pushed out our bow with her boat hook (longest boot hook I've ever seen!). The wind caught our bow as Brenda held our stern line in towards the dock. Such a graceful exit in a narrow channel from a lovely place to visit.

06 June 2012 | Bellhaven, NC

Sunset in a Gazebo

Bellhaven, NC 35' 32.2" N Lat 076'37.3" W .Long 6/5/2012

20 May 2012

Sunsets, Sea Turtles, Moon Rises, and Flying Fish

The 70 nm overnight trip to Masonboro (Wilmington, NC) commenced on Thursday (5/10/12) at 10:30 hours when our crew threw off Thalias dock lines. Judy, Cameron (aka Railmeat) and Jim Privett stowed the fenders and dock lines as I turned south towards the mouth of Adams Creek and the ICW to the Beaufort [...]

06 January 2012

Celebration of Life

Celebration of Life

24 December 2011 | Oriental, NC

Christmas Post

Direct from the CrabPot/Christmas Tree show room in downtown Oriental Judy and I wish all our scattered friends (?) and the soon to be BIRTHDAY GIRL (you know who you are) Peace and Love from Sidney’s. Those who have been to Sidney’s are on the scattered friends secret list.

19 October 2011

OFF TO OCRACOKE

OFF TO OCRACOKE

Sunset in a Gazebo

06 June 2012 | Bellhaven, NC
Captain Pat
Bellhaven, NC 35' 32.2" N Lat 076'37.3" W .Long 6/5/2012

A Gazebo at Sunset
Today was our first day of going north on the ICW from Oriental. Bellhaven is approximatety fifty miles. Jim, Beth and Cameron showed up more awake then us at our slip in Oriental to send us off with their best wishes. So we had coffee, feminist about our past 6 months together and then prepared to leave dear friends and a lovely town of Oriental.

Jim and Cam thru the last lines on board and pushed us off for a perfect beginning. We had rain and north winds with short stacked 1 to 3' waves on the Neuse as we headed north. Judy went out to retrieve ropes but at the captains suggestion she left the coiled up on the deck so she could use both hands to return to the cockpit. We had coffee and breakfast as we cruised north to the ICW cutoff. Since we were straight into the wind we continued to motor for the entire trip. In the process of checking instruments, dials, and things I discovered that we were running on the house batteries. Later in Bellhaven Les the proprietor of Bellhaven Waterway Marina and a motorcycle mechanic confirmed that the alternator was not supplying any charging current. The sign on his trailer "Buffalo Chip/ Sturgis or Bust" were his creds as a motorcycle mechanic. He also knows his way around boats. The marina was the high point of the day. It is small, six boats at max, but the setting is small old village, big water, ducks and geese, a screened in gazebo out on a finger of land surrounded by the water with purple, blue, red sunset in wicker chairs with ducks swimming past. Les has got his priorities right. I only wish that I had went to the gazebo earlier to either meditate, journal or read Rumi. The quietness with water and sunset overwhelmed me. A display of the sacred and magical world.............just now!........... nowhere but here..............GAIA cloaked by the cosmos.
Comments

About & Links

Favorites
No Links Added Yet