The Big Blue

14 May 2021 | Anacortes
05 August 2020 | Billy Goat Harbor
02 August 2020 | Fury Cove
31 July 2020 | Meyers Passage
26 July 2020 | Ketchikan
22 July 2020 | Petersburg
20 July 2020 | Petersburg
16 July 2020 | Appleton Cove
10 July 2020 | Sitka
07 July 2020 | Gulf of Alaska
04 July 2020
04 December 2014 | Anchorage
24 July 2014 | Bulldog Cove
21 July 2014 | Shelikof Straight
10 July 2014
02 July 2014
28 June 2014
19 June 2014

Maui Arrival

27 July 2012 | Mala, Maui
Laurence
We arrived in Lahaina in the wee morning hours of July 21. Our official finish time was 03:53:39 – first boat in the cruising division to finish! Earlier on July 20, we had very light winds and were at times making only 2knots over the ground toward Maui. We therefore estimated our arrival to be around 8:30 am, based on an average boat speed on 4.5 knots. A few hours later, however, we were reaching along with our asymmetrical at up to 8.5 knots – so we arrived at Pailolo channel much earlier than anticipated, at around midnight. (By the way, I recently learned that lolo means crazy!) We were sailing again! As we neared the finish line, the wind died again. It probably took us about an hour to get through that last mile …. We had called the race committee as directed about ten miles from the finish, and they seemed excited to hear from us despite the uncivilized hour of our arrival. They counted us down across the finish line – after which a chase boat approached us and inquired, “have you finished?” We responded that we had, and they said, “usually the crew cheers or something …” Right. It was a bit anticlimactic to be crossing the finish line in the pitch dark with no wind, so we forgot to cheer! The chase boat dropped Bear off on our boat – member of the Lahaina Yacht Club who would pilot us into safety for our party at the fuel dock. He boarded bearing beer, cool drinks, and a bottle of vodka! Still in a bit of a daze, we followed the chase boat towards the dock, hearing waves crashing on the reef right next to us, grateful for Bear’s directions. As we approached the dock, we were amazed to see a crowd of people waiting for us with chili, FRESH FRUIT, home-grown avocados, leis, cocktails, champagne, warmth and enthusiasm. I couldn’t believe so many strangers had gotten out of bed at 3am to welcome us! We met our official greeter Leeann, as well as Ashley, who we had met at the party in Victoria, and our volunteer hosts Christine and Dan. Everyone had been following our blog and knew more about our trip than we did! We spent some time at the dock before Nancy, the dock wrangler, directed us to our “slip” in the small boat basin. It would be a med-moor style docking – but there wasn’t actually much of a dock – our port bow line was led to the very end of the pier, and our starboard bow line to a bit of chain on the rocks of the breakwater. It was beginning to get light. Nancy graciously accepted to come on board to help us with the docking, and I ran along the breakwater to catch our starboard bow line. As the boat approached, Becky leapt onto an inflatable to make off the port bow – I heard a splash, and she was in the water. Nancy tossed me the starboard bow line, and I waded out to my waist in the water to get it and make it off to the breakwater – I looked over and saw Becky hanging from the pier, and Benjamin on the bow looking at me and Becky both in the water and laughing as hard as I have ever seen him laugh. We got the boat squared away and headed off to clear customs and take showers at the Lahaina Yacht Club.

Now we have been in Maui for close to a week. Christine and Dan had the crew over for a delicious dinner at their beautiful home. Christine took me to Costco for a preliminary provisioning trip, and Christine and Dan have lent us some bikes so we are settling in! The anchorage in front of Lahaina was pretty rolly for a couple of days so we spent a lot of time ashore seeing the sights and checking out some beaches, etc. Now we’ve moved to Mala, about half a mile north of Lahaina. Not sure it will be much better if the sea picks up, but for now things are quite calm. Becky and Bill left a few days ago, and Benjamin leaves tomorrow evening, shortly after the Vic-Maui banquet. We’ve still got a few projects to get done before we leave, but we are looking at setting off again maybe next Wednesday, weather permitting.

Thanks to everyone who followed our race, to those who welcomed us in Lahaina, and especially to Becky Bill and Benjamin for helping us get here. We couldn’t do it without you. Stay with us as we continue our journey!

Mahalo.
Comments
Vessel Name: Radiance
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau First456
Hailing Port: Seward, AK
Crew: Mark Ward, Laurence
About:
M [...]
Extra:
Radiance is a German Frers designed Beneteau First456 sloop. She has the deep lead fin keel and tall rig. She competes in the local sailing regattas and had taken top honors in all events on multiple occasions. Laurence and Mark have returned from a 2.5 year blue water cruise that essentially [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/thebigblue/?show=profile
Social:
Radiance's Photos - Main
1 Photo
1
crew
 
1
Seward to Anacortes
50 Photos
Created 20 July 2020
Pics from s/v Radiance visit to Fiji, 2013
71 Photos
Created 22 June 2013
Misc photos from Bay of Islands, New Zealand
49 Photos
Created 18 February 2013
Cruising Bay of Islands and driving about the North Island.
100 Photos
Created 14 January 2013
Opua, Whangarei, Karikari, etc.
39 Photos
Created 4 December 2012
32 Photos
Created 22 November 2012
91 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
49 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
S/V Radiance in Niuatoputapu
12 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
s/v Radiance photos of Fanning
47 Photos
Created 4 October 2012
s/v Radiance Photos of Suwarrow visit
40 Photos
Created 3 October 2012
29 Photos
Created 3 October 2012
Radiance in Palmyra, Aug, 2012
45 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
18 Photos
Created 29 July 2012
Photos beginning May 2012, Departing Seward Alaska - heading south.
12 Photos
Created 10 June 2012