The Big Blue

14 May 2021 | Anacortes
05 August 2020 | Billy Goat Harbor
02 August 2020 | Fury Cove
31 July 2020 | Meyers Passage
26 July 2020 | Ketchikan
22 July 2020 | Petersburg
20 July 2020 | Petersburg
16 July 2020 | Appleton Cove
10 July 2020 | Sitka
07 July 2020 | Gulf of Alaska
04 July 2020
04 December 2014 | Anchorage
24 July 2014 | Bulldog Cove
21 July 2014 | Shelikof Straight
10 July 2014
02 July 2014
28 June 2014
19 June 2014

Alenuihaha – ha

07 August 2012 | Kauhako, HI
Mark
Well, we did it. That is we crossed the famed Alenuihaha Channel. We only had winds to 30 knots, but some pretty big seas. In any case, the trick is definitely to get your butt out of bed EARLY in the morning (like 4:00) and go. The best we could manage was departing at 5:30, but it made a difference. Plus we were staged closer. In any case, we were able to cross with double reefed main and a bit of headsail. The odd thing was - getting into the lee of the Big Island , we sailed into a completely windless hole before the wind swung and blew 180 degrees at 20 knots , but we were close enough to Kiholo Bay, where we'd planned to stay anyway, so motored in and dropped the hook amongst 2 kiteboarding fanatics who insisted on buzzing by the boat at top speed (pretty cool actually) while giving us the "hang loose" hand gesture. Still we were pretty beat from the crossing and so spent most of the rest of the day inside napping. The Big Island is quite different. Other than being much larger, it seems more rugged, with lots of seemingly new black volcanic rock and lava flows easily visible from the water. The anchorage at Kiholo was adequate, though still rolly and with a loud surf crashing very near the boat. This morning, we pulled the hook and sailed immediately with main alone in the 18 knots from the north. It was interesting seeing the infrastructure change as we headed south along this big Island. Larger towns and warehouses began appearing when we decided it was prudent to top off fuel and water at Honokhau Harbor - a man made small harbor cut into the rock which has only a small basin on the outside deep enough for us to get into. Unfortunately, the inner basin is only 7 feet deep and we draw 8 so we could not stay. Still, it was nice to get fuel and walk around a bit. We even had lunch and talked to a guy running a charter boat that had moved here from Seward 19 years ago. Small world. We continued making our way south along the Kona Coast and decided to stop in at Kealakekua Bay - where the Captain Cook Memorial is located. Unfortunately, the only boats allowed to take a mooring in the bay (National Marine Preserve) are cattlemarans who tied up in front of the memorial with droves of fat pink people who are unceremoniously dropped in the water with snorkels. Determined, we motored in and Lolo idled around while I swam to shore (with iphone in dry bag stuffed down my trunks) to see the memorial and take a photo. Being from Alaska - where I grew up with the legacy of Cook, I just had to see the place where he met his final demise. It seems he was killed because a local priest had mistakenly associated Cook with some "god" and that was enough; a stupid way to die for such an amazing and accomplished man. As I swam back to the boat, I could see the worried look on Lolo's face and she was glad to have me back aboard. We continued our way south down the coast in search of a suitable anchorage and stopped at Honaunau Bay - a very small (but as good as it gets here) bay with some ancient Hawaiian city ruins. It looked like a possibility, so we dropped the hook. Unfortunately, just as we dove into the ocean to swim to shore and explore some of the area, a Hawaiian outrigger canoe full of rowers paddled out to tell us we had to move.  This was quite discouraging and the words range in my head from a cruising friend who had once told me "Hawaii is not very friendly to cruisers." This is certainly complicated by the fact that there are really no suitable anchorages or protected bays here. At least none like the ones I'm used to anchoring in. The few that come close, seem to be protected marine reserves - reserved instead for droves of tourists. Shame. This is the America I want to get away from. Apparently Hawaii is not far enough away. Anyway, after being shoo'd off, we continued down another 3 miles and are now anchored in the very rolly, and only marginally protected Hauhako Bay. You'd be hard pressed to call this a bay, but it's really no worse than all the other places we've stayed in Hawaii and since it was getting dark soon, we dropped the hook in 30 feet of sand. The good news is - they have internet and phone service. Probably the last we'll see for a month. Next stop - Palmyra Atoll.
Comments
Vessel Name: Radiance
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau First456
Hailing Port: Seward, AK
Crew: Mark Ward, Laurence
About:
M [...]
Extra:
Radiance is a German Frers designed Beneteau First456 sloop. She has the deep lead fin keel and tall rig. She competes in the local sailing regattas and had taken top honors in all events on multiple occasions. Laurence and Mark have returned from a 2.5 year blue water cruise that essentially [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/thebigblue/?show=profile
Social:
Radiance's Photos - Main
1 Photo
1
crew
 
1
Seward to Anacortes
50 Photos
Created 20 July 2020
Pics from s/v Radiance visit to Fiji, 2013
71 Photos
Created 22 June 2013
Misc photos from Bay of Islands, New Zealand
49 Photos
Created 18 February 2013
Cruising Bay of Islands and driving about the North Island.
100 Photos
Created 14 January 2013
Opua, Whangarei, Karikari, etc.
39 Photos
Created 4 December 2012
32 Photos
Created 22 November 2012
91 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
49 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
S/V Radiance in Niuatoputapu
12 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
s/v Radiance photos of Fanning
47 Photos
Created 4 October 2012
s/v Radiance Photos of Suwarrow visit
40 Photos
Created 3 October 2012
29 Photos
Created 3 October 2012
Radiance in Palmyra, Aug, 2012
45 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
18 Photos
Created 29 July 2012
Photos beginning May 2012, Departing Seward Alaska - heading south.
12 Photos
Created 10 June 2012