The Big Blue

14 May 2021 | Anacortes
05 August 2020 | Billy Goat Harbor
02 August 2020 | Fury Cove
31 July 2020 | Meyers Passage
26 July 2020 | Ketchikan
22 July 2020 | Petersburg
20 July 2020 | Petersburg
16 July 2020 | Appleton Cove
10 July 2020 | Sitka
07 July 2020 | Gulf of Alaska
04 July 2020
04 December 2014 | Anchorage
24 July 2014 | Bulldog Cove
21 July 2014 | Shelikof Straight
10 July 2014
02 July 2014
28 June 2014
19 June 2014

Baby Show

14 September 2012 | Manihiki
Mark
Yesterday was a big day - the official Manihiki Baby Show. When I first heard of it, I thought perhaps it was more like what we would call a "well baby clinic" - but, I was mistaken. This was a full-on baby show and in-fact, a judged competition. It was closer to a car show than a well baby health clinic. There were three age groups and each baby was judged in 4 categories of general health. The outdoor hall had been painstakingly decorated with hand-screened tropical print tapestries, flowers and mats. The crowd was dressed up and the women especially - adorned in fresh flower head dresses - each with a different pattern and style. The program was in Cook Is. Maori, so was difficult to follow. But after an intro and then a brief sermon (?) by the CICC pastor, suddenly and without any clue or cue, the entire group of attendees burst into song. I scrambled for my recorder as this was what I've been dying to hear. The full choir sound is decidedly Polynesian and laced with intricate harmonies. Whatever they were singing sounded almost as if it were being played on a large pipe organ - with full low bass, tenor, alto and soprano voices and parts. At one point they all modulated to another key which was not entirely logical to me, but in perfect unison. Soon the baby judging commenced with category 1, age 0-8 mo. As mothers proudly sported their adorned babies between judges, they paused briefly for photo ops and beamed with proud smiles. The crowd was enthusiastic and supportive as even the men (dressed up for the occasion) played it up. But there was a decided reverence for the women and especially the older women - who, spoke at length and seemingly with great wisdom. Once given the floor, each went on with what seemed to be well thought out speeches that had the crowd on the edges of their seats. Though we could not understand any of it, the crowd would erupt into laughter often and it seemed each could command an audience with a good sense of humor. Between categories, the band (PA reinforced keyboard player and bass player) sang songs with canned drums. But then the real drummers began. All young men - playing percussion instruments that ranged from large round skin type drums and hollowed out logs to a used 5-gallon tin of "cabinet bread" (what appears to be the equivalent to pilot bread.) This was also very cool and very Polynesian sounding. After several hours - and some pretty cute babies, the winners were announced and program was over. Then - it was time to eat! Before the event there had been rows of long tables spread under a large tent and covered with an assortment of food ranging from fried chicken, port, sausages and pickled fish, to rice pudding, cakes, donuts and even ice cream. There were gallons of lemonade and also huge bags of drinking coconuts. We feasted and kept being encouraged to eat more and take leftovers to the boat. After gorging ourselves, we sat in the shade and chatted with Wolfgang (the German doctor at hospital) and also Papa Ioane (caretaker of Suvarrow) - who proceeded to tell us all about his scars, encounters and attacks from tiger sharks. We met another "Papa" from NZ before the show and chatted about geopolitical issues. Then there is the Papa - from the local shop - who is the main ham operator for the island. For some reason a large number of the adult population has the title of either "papa" or "mama." Not sure how they keep them all straight. Anyway, I tried to get some pics of babies, but they all seem somewhat terrified of me. I don't know if it's because I'm too light or not quite large enough in girth, but I got a few pics anyway. In all it was an event to remember and luckily, we didn't come home with a new baby!
Comments
Vessel Name: Radiance
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau First456
Hailing Port: Seward, AK
Crew: Mark Ward, Laurence
About:
M [...]
Extra:
Radiance is a German Frers designed Beneteau First456 sloop. She has the deep lead fin keel and tall rig. She competes in the local sailing regattas and had taken top honors in all events on multiple occasions. Laurence and Mark have returned from a 2.5 year blue water cruise that essentially [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/thebigblue/?show=profile
Social:
Radiance's Photos - Main
1 Photo
1
crew
 
1
Seward to Anacortes
50 Photos
Created 20 July 2020
Pics from s/v Radiance visit to Fiji, 2013
71 Photos
Created 22 June 2013
Misc photos from Bay of Islands, New Zealand
49 Photos
Created 18 February 2013
Cruising Bay of Islands and driving about the North Island.
100 Photos
Created 14 January 2013
Opua, Whangarei, Karikari, etc.
39 Photos
Created 4 December 2012
32 Photos
Created 22 November 2012
91 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
49 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
S/V Radiance in Niuatoputapu
12 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
s/v Radiance photos of Fanning
47 Photos
Created 4 October 2012
s/v Radiance Photos of Suwarrow visit
40 Photos
Created 3 October 2012
29 Photos
Created 3 October 2012
Radiance in Palmyra, Aug, 2012
45 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
18 Photos
Created 29 July 2012
Photos beginning May 2012, Departing Seward Alaska - heading south.
12 Photos
Created 10 June 2012