The Big Blue

14 May 2021 | Anacortes
05 August 2020 | Billy Goat Harbor
02 August 2020 | Fury Cove
31 July 2020 | Meyers Passage
26 July 2020 | Ketchikan
22 July 2020 | Petersburg
20 July 2020 | Petersburg
16 July 2020 | Appleton Cove
10 July 2020 | Sitka
07 July 2020 | Gulf of Alaska
04 July 2020
04 December 2014 | Anchorage
24 July 2014 | Bulldog Cove
21 July 2014 | Shelikof Straight
10 July 2014
02 July 2014
28 June 2014
19 June 2014

Pigs, volcanoes, and kava

27 August 2013 | Port Resolution, Vanuatu
Lolo
We still like Vanuatu. In fact, I like it even more. The day before yesterday, we left Aneiytum and sailed the 45 or so miles to Port Resolution, Tanna. Yes, Port Resolution is named after Captain Cook's Resolution. It is a striking bay on the windward side of the island and most, if not all, yachts passing through this part of the world stop here to visit THE VOLCANO. It bears mentioning that, although the volcano is, indeed, very very very very impressive, the people here, and the trees, and the water, and the hotsprings, and the beach, and everything else, is worth seeing in its own right. We are still internet-less, and virtually cashless now as well. But more on that later. We arrived in the afternoon, after a good sail in strong SSE trades, and dropped anchor in about 16 feet of water. That's pretty shallow for us, but the entire bay is 3-4 meters so that's what we get. Some German friends from the boat Victoria that arrived the day before us came by and let us know that they had set everything up with one of the locals, Johnson. We were to meet at the village onshore the following day at 3pm, and Joseph and Johnson would drive us first to a �"John Frum�" village for a visit, and then to the volcano in time for sunset. The whole thing would cost 6,000 Vatu each (that's about $60). So the next day, (yesterday) we wandered ashore and met up with the two other boats that would join us on this excursion: Victoria and Namani. Victoria is populated by Haeke and Kae and their two boys, 7 and 5 years old, Niklaus and Hanis. On Namani are Nana, Marcus, and Nicky (their boat name is a convenient mnemonic device for those of us who can't remember names). Nana is American and Marcus is German, and Nicky is their 9 year old boy. Joined by three local girls, (along for the ride?), we piled into the back of the silver Nissan pickup truck and down the �"road�" we went. Hanis, the 5 year old boy, was shaking with excitement about first riding in the back of the pickup truck and then, visiting a volcano! About one bumpy hour later, we arrived in Sulphur Bay, a �"cargo cult�" village. I am not sure what cargo cults are, but apparently, these guys believe that John Frum is the prophet, and they are waiting for him to come back (I don't know who John Frum is either, or when he was here before �...). A man named Isaac showed us around and explained that he did not actually worship John Frum - he was a Christian - but the rest of the village did. People visit Sulphur Bay because of the cargo cult and also because there are hot springs all over the black sand beach - and it was very cool - but I must say I was, most of the time, one hundred percent distracted by the mountain in the distance that kept, well, ERUPTING. We piled back into the back of the truck and, before we had time to question the wisdom of the excursion, drove toward the volcano. We arrived at the sea of grey ash that was the �"parking lot�" for the volcano around 5:30pm, and we all got out and started walking up the mountain towards the booming sounds. When we got to the rim, the volcano was blasting. Niklaus, the seven year old, started screaming (very reasonably). Hanis seemed ok. Danny started laughing uncontrollably. Mark was frantically recording sound, snapping photos, and fiddling with equipment. It was stunning. As night fell, we walked around to the other side of the crater and looked into the vents. At one point, Mark asked Danny and I to pose for a picture. Danny stepped towards the crater, and I grabbed his arm. Five minutes later, I realized I was still holding his arm-in a death grip. We all made it back to the truck, and the drive home, in the dark, was considerably calmer. We'll post photos-and audio. The next day, today, we went ashore to wander around the village. One of the families in the village had asked the boats if they would be up for joining them for a feast of sorts on the beach, for a small fee. The proceeds do not go to the individuals, but to the community. So we headed to the white sand beach on the windward side of the village, and it was a beautiful day. A pig was roasting, and I chatted with a local woman named Lea. She is a French speaker and was very excited that I spoke French. She wanted to know if there were any other French speakers. I told her I was working on Danny and Mark. We had a really very delicious lunch of roasted pig, cassava, bananas cooked in something, chouchoutte (a new tasty vegetable), bread, rice, papaya, and yams. It was great. The beach was amazing, and everyone was JUST SO NICE. I know, it's getting old. But it's true! Wow. After lunch Mark and I strolled down the beach. On our way back we glimpsed Danny running through the trees followed by at least a dozen little kids - hilarious. They were all climbing all over him. Nelson, the guy whose family organized the feast, invited Danny and Mark to join the men for kava tonight. So I left them at the village kava area, where women are forbidden from going. In most traditional places in Vanuatu, drinking Kava is forbidden to women. They are not allowed to see it being prepared. Aneityum seemed less strict, but it is very clear here. I walked with Lea back to her hut and she gave me some coconut preserves, for which I paid her 200 vatu. She also asked if we have any sewing needles - she's broken her singer machine needles. I told her I would check to see if we have any of the same kind. Meanwhile, tomorrow is Mark's birthday, and we are out of onions, tomatoes, pretty much all fresh vegetables (except a few wrinkled green peppers and eggplants), wine, beer, and cash. I have not washed my hair since we left Fiji. I think we really need to make tracks to Vila, but I really hate to leave. At least I have the makings for a cake, and maybe we'll crack open that bottle of feijoa vodka we got in New Zealand and have been saving for a special occasion�...
Comments
Vessel Name: Radiance
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau First456
Hailing Port: Seward, AK
Crew: Mark Ward, Laurence
About:
M [...]
Extra:
Radiance is a German Frers designed Beneteau First456 sloop. She has the deep lead fin keel and tall rig. She competes in the local sailing regattas and had taken top honors in all events on multiple occasions. Laurence and Mark have returned from a 2.5 year blue water cruise that essentially [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/thebigblue/?show=profile
Social:
Radiance's Photos - Main
1 Photo
1
crew
 
1
Seward to Anacortes
50 Photos
Created 20 July 2020
Pics from s/v Radiance visit to Fiji, 2013
71 Photos
Created 22 June 2013
Misc photos from Bay of Islands, New Zealand
49 Photos
Created 18 February 2013
Cruising Bay of Islands and driving about the North Island.
100 Photos
Created 14 January 2013
Opua, Whangarei, Karikari, etc.
39 Photos
Created 4 December 2012
32 Photos
Created 22 November 2012
91 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
49 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
S/V Radiance in Niuatoputapu
12 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
s/v Radiance photos of Fanning
47 Photos
Created 4 October 2012
s/v Radiance Photos of Suwarrow visit
40 Photos
Created 3 October 2012
29 Photos
Created 3 October 2012
Radiance in Palmyra, Aug, 2012
45 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
18 Photos
Created 29 July 2012
Photos beginning May 2012, Departing Seward Alaska - heading south.
12 Photos
Created 10 June 2012