The Big Blue

14 May 2021 | Anacortes
05 August 2020 | Billy Goat Harbor
02 August 2020 | Fury Cove
31 July 2020 | Meyers Passage
26 July 2020 | Ketchikan
22 July 2020 | Petersburg
20 July 2020 | Petersburg
16 July 2020 | Appleton Cove
10 July 2020 | Sitka
07 July 2020 | Gulf of Alaska
04 July 2020
04 December 2014 | Anchorage
24 July 2014 | Bulldog Cove
21 July 2014 | Shelikof Straight
10 July 2014
02 July 2014
28 June 2014
19 June 2014

Newlyweds

03 November 2013 | Vanikoro, Santa Cruz, Solomons
Mark
We'd been boat-bound in Vanikoro for several days due to constant rain squalls. So when the sun broke out, I took off in the dinghy to do some exploring and visit the beach settlement of one of the natives I'd been trading with. A few hours later I returned to Radiance, where I'd left Lolo a couple hours before. Of course she'd been visited by a few canoes and done some trading. Albert and Lillian had brought a big carved wooden bowl and were specifically interested in a frying pan and a metal chain necklace. They also wanted a hacksaw blade, but Lolo told them to return a while later to ask me about that. In trying to determine what else they might like, Lolo had brought out one of her old skirts and since Lillian was about the same size (unusual for the South Pacific), held it up. In return Lillian had lifted her shirt and began fondling her breasts. Albert had said "they are just like balloons!" Somewhat shocked at the gesture, Lolo took this to mean that she might want a bra in trade. But when she brought one out, Lillian indicated she preferred the skirt instead. When both parties were happy with their trades, Albert and Lillian had paddled up river to cut some foundation logs for a new house they were planning to build. Shortly after I returned, I noticed a rather long canoe approaching with two people and asked Lolo if it was them. I could see the wide grinning faces of shirt less Albert, with his shoulder length bushy mop of curly sun bleached hair, and a rather large breasted, darker black- skinned Lillian, sporting her new silver chain. Both had a wild look in their eyes that was accentuated by their bright red stained front teeth. Both also appeared to be wearing bright red lipstick from the beetle nut they'd no doubt been chewing throughout the day. To chew beetle nut, one needs three items: the nut itself (which is not red), a ground mixture of seashell (essentially lime), and a rolled up green leaf. After the nut is chewed up a bit, you take the rolled up leaf and dip the end into the powdered lime, then chew that along with the beetle nut. Apparently the mixture of the three not only creates the stimulant, but also the bright red teeth-rotting juice. Each spat a stream of red saliva periodically - which really made these two look like a pair of honest to goodness savages that might just as we'll have been gnawing on some raw meat. But they were friendly and laughing and eager to pose for photos. Their canoe was loaded with 6-8 whole logs maybe 12- 18' long and 5-6" in diameter. While up river, it had poured unmercifully on them and although wet, they were un-phased. Albert had harvested the house posts with his bush knife, preferring that over the axe and they seemed giddy and excited about the prospect of building their house together..even if somewhat high on beetle nut. I rummaged around for a hacksaw blade (my only spare) and determined that they probably needed it more that I. In trade, I got a hand crafted medallion of intricate cut turtle shell over white clam shell background. The design, I was told is only found in Vanikoro and is usually worn by chiefs. When I asked them to pose for me one more time, they gestured for Lolo to jump in the canoe with them. With some reservation, I agreed and snapped the photo...all of them laughing. As they rowed off to start their new life together, I wished them luck and they disappeared into the distance.
Comments
Vessel Name: Radiance
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau First456
Hailing Port: Seward, AK
Crew: Mark Ward, Laurence
About:
M [...]
Extra:
Radiance is a German Frers designed Beneteau First456 sloop. She has the deep lead fin keel and tall rig. She competes in the local sailing regattas and had taken top honors in all events on multiple occasions. Laurence and Mark have returned from a 2.5 year blue water cruise that essentially [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/thebigblue/?show=profile
Social:
Radiance's Photos - Main
1 Photo
1
crew
 
1
Seward to Anacortes
50 Photos
Created 20 July 2020
Pics from s/v Radiance visit to Fiji, 2013
71 Photos
Created 22 June 2013
Misc photos from Bay of Islands, New Zealand
49 Photos
Created 18 February 2013
Cruising Bay of Islands and driving about the North Island.
100 Photos
Created 14 January 2013
Opua, Whangarei, Karikari, etc.
39 Photos
Created 4 December 2012
32 Photos
Created 22 November 2012
91 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
49 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
S/V Radiance in Niuatoputapu
12 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
s/v Radiance photos of Fanning
47 Photos
Created 4 October 2012
s/v Radiance Photos of Suwarrow visit
40 Photos
Created 3 October 2012
29 Photos
Created 3 October 2012
Radiance in Palmyra, Aug, 2012
45 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
18 Photos
Created 29 July 2012
Photos beginning May 2012, Departing Seward Alaska - heading south.
12 Photos
Created 10 June 2012