The Big Blue

14 May 2021 | Anacortes
05 August 2020 | Billy Goat Harbor
02 August 2020 | Fury Cove
31 July 2020 | Meyers Passage
26 July 2020 | Ketchikan
22 July 2020 | Petersburg
20 July 2020 | Petersburg
16 July 2020 | Appleton Cove
10 July 2020 | Sitka
07 July 2020 | Gulf of Alaska
04 July 2020
04 December 2014 | Anchorage
24 July 2014 | Bulldog Cove
21 July 2014 | Shelikof Straight
10 July 2014
02 July 2014
28 June 2014
19 June 2014

Thanks Be

27 November 2013 | Tarawa
Mark
Major cities in the third world are such a shocker – at least to me. Here in Tarawa, the small city of Betio (“be-sio”) sprawls literally from shore to shore. But when you consider that you can throw a rock from one side of the atoll to the other in most places, and that the entirely of the island is less than 2-miles long, you wonder how there can possibly be 45,000 people residing here. Betio has one of the highest population densities of any city on the planet. Along with that come problems. There is little in the way of infrastructure and a large section of the population simply defecates on the shoreline. Over-capacity busses blaring booming modern “island music” zoom past overturned rusting car frames that adorn people’s front yards. Residents nap on pandanus mats in open-air thatched huts. Staked to the ground by one hind leg, rooting pigs seek respite from the searing sun and chickens run everywhere. Trash blows around and collects in muddy pools of water, and dust from the constant traffic on decaying roads covers everything. Wild dogs roam the island and there is a smell about the place. Yet, in spite of all this, Tarawa is where young I-Kiribati from beautifully pristine outer atolls want to come, and for one reason – work. Betio serves as the capitol city for Kiribati and that is the only reason we are here. But for those of us on this side of the date line, today is Thanksgiving – and Lolo and I will be celebrating it here, in Tarawa. As such, we set about yesterday to find a chicken to roast. We climbed aboard a dirty van with 18 other people and wedged our way in. We’d decided to go north – away from Betio to the more modern branch of Moels Trading, where Lolo had previously found some fresh veggies, in hopes of finding a frozen chicken so we would not have to go into the main town. After about 20-min, we hopped off only to discover that the downtown store was the only place we might find the chicken. With some reluctance, we also inquired about the possibility of buying a live chicken, but the clerk did not know where we might do that. This was somewhat of a relief as neither Lolo nor I would know quite what to do with a live chicken. So – back on another bus to backtrack the distance we’d come and then bounce our way south for an additional 25 min with another group of sweating people in the head pounding tin can of a bus. As Lolo can attest, these things make me grumpy, so upon arrival, I felt it warranted to stop first at a liquor store and replenish our store of gin. I met her after to find that she had indeed procured one whole frozen chicken – purportedly originating in New South Whales. With mashed potatoes, and a homemade pumpkin pie, we’d have a proper Thanksgiving dinner. For us Americans, Thanksgiving conjures up memories of times past, but mostly it stirs the memories of Thanksgiving dinners shared with loved ones – family and friends. Thousands of miles away, those are who we miss most today. Most of my memorable Thanksgivings were spent at the cabin – snow-machining all day with my brothers while mom baked homemade rolls and roasted a turkey that barely fit into the small propane oven. Birch logs smoldered in the wood stove, keeping the chill of freezing temperatures at bay. It was a boy’s heaven. Thanksgiving is a day to count our thanks. Today I give thanks for many things. I am thankful for the realization of a dream – one I’ve had since I was a teenager – and to the person, my wife, Laurence, that made that dream come true. I am thankful for my three wonderful children; Jessica – who is living in Alaska and excelling at her career in telecommunications, Danny – who (with some coaxing) has shared in our adventure and is now backpacking around New Zealand, and my darling girl, Piper – who has joined us in British Columbia, Samoa, Tonga, New Zealand and Fiji and is currently, a 6th grade honor student. I am thankful for the health of my parents and for all they have done, and the old friends, families and new friends that have graced our lives. While Lolo and I (and Kiri) eat our roast chicken dinner tonight in the sweltering heat of equatorial Kiribati, we’ll be thinking of you. Happy Thanksgiving.
Comments
Vessel Name: Radiance
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau First456
Hailing Port: Seward, AK
Crew: Mark Ward, Laurence
About:
M [...]
Extra:
Radiance is a German Frers designed Beneteau First456 sloop. She has the deep lead fin keel and tall rig. She competes in the local sailing regattas and had taken top honors in all events on multiple occasions. Laurence and Mark have returned from a 2.5 year blue water cruise that essentially [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/thebigblue/?show=profile
Social:
Radiance's Photos - Main
1 Photo
1
crew
 
1
Seward to Anacortes
50 Photos
Created 20 July 2020
Pics from s/v Radiance visit to Fiji, 2013
71 Photos
Created 22 June 2013
Misc photos from Bay of Islands, New Zealand
49 Photos
Created 18 February 2013
Cruising Bay of Islands and driving about the North Island.
100 Photos
Created 14 January 2013
Opua, Whangarei, Karikari, etc.
39 Photos
Created 4 December 2012
32 Photos
Created 22 November 2012
91 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
49 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
S/V Radiance in Niuatoputapu
12 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
s/v Radiance photos of Fanning
47 Photos
Created 4 October 2012
s/v Radiance Photos of Suwarrow visit
40 Photos
Created 3 October 2012
29 Photos
Created 3 October 2012
Radiance in Palmyra, Aug, 2012
45 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
18 Photos
Created 29 July 2012
Photos beginning May 2012, Departing Seward Alaska - heading south.
12 Photos
Created 10 June 2012