The Big Blue

14 May 2021 | Anacortes
05 August 2020 | Billy Goat Harbor
02 August 2020 | Fury Cove
31 July 2020 | Meyers Passage
26 July 2020 | Ketchikan
22 July 2020 | Petersburg
20 July 2020 | Petersburg
16 July 2020 | Appleton Cove
10 July 2020 | Sitka
07 July 2020 | Gulf of Alaska
04 July 2020
04 December 2014 | Anchorage
24 July 2014 | Bulldog Cove
21 July 2014 | Shelikof Straight
10 July 2014
02 July 2014
28 June 2014
19 June 2014

Dear Santa

22 December 2013 | Majuro
Mark
I will always remember the silver plastic Gemini space capsule that Santa brought me when I was 9. About the diameter of a dinner plate, it had an opening door and clear plastic windows.The cockpit had been cast in an off-white plastic and included the astronauts seat and seatbelt. Overhead lay a giant array of complicated looking instruments and dials. It required no batteries because it didn't really "do" anything, but when you turned down the lights, the interior glowed brightly and that plastic toy captured my imagination for hours. I'd imagine myself inside the cockpit - orbiting high above the earth. Of course it may have helped that our grade school had been visited by a traveling NASA exhibit which had a real Gemini space capsule. This exhibit must have toured the country long before it made its way to Anchorage, but the fact that it did make it, surprises me even today. That capsule must have sparked the imagination of thousands of children at the time. The Apollo space program was in full swing, we'd landed on the moon and America was kicking ass. It was a good time to be a kid. While I don't remember specifically wanting to "be" and astronaut, I was brought up with the space and aeronautics field forefront and my room had many model airplanes dangling from the ceiling in flying positions. After school television programs included Lost in Space, Star Trek, and my favorite - Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. We were told to "boldly go where no man has gone before." In short, life for a kid at the time was filled with fodder for big dreams and aspirations.
And so it struck me today, while doing some Christmas shopping of my own, so see there in the toy section, front and center, a big, metallic blue, realistic, radio controlled, model JL678.........TOURIST BUS. I was speechless. Setting aside the notion that any kid would actually want a radio controlled metallic blue tourist bus, what about the not-so-subliminal message that comes along with this toy? Imagine the gleam in little Junior's face when he runs down the stairs to see what Santa has left under the tree. Is this a toy that will spur his imagination...or make him reach for the sky and dream big? Is it even fun? What parent in their right mind would buy this for their child? I can just hear dad on Christmas morning, "Oh look what Santa has brought you son. That is so cool. Lets put the batteries in and see how it drives. Wow! It looks just like a real tourist bus." Junior learns something new. "Hmm? I guess Santa (and mom and dad) place a lot of status on being a tour bus driver. Maybe someday, I'll be a real tour bus driver too."
Now I'm sure it's a noble enough occupation and I'm not trying to slam anyone who actually drives a tour bus for a living, but I'd be real surprised if it was their childhood dream job. Today Americans are whining that we seem to have lost our competitive edge in the world. Is it any wonder? It felt odd when I was at university that there were so many foreign nationals at my school...I mean like a third of the student body! And it's been happening for at least 25 years now right under our noses. While the USA may still have the biggest purchasing power in the world, that ain't gonna cut it for long. We've outsourced just about everything including, apparently, the notion for our children to dream big. As kids morph into adults these days, lackadaisical attitude prevails and there seems to be an increasing number of kids that simply have no motivation, no direction, no drive and no ambition. Most are no longer interested in going on to university, but they don't really want to work either. Perhaps its too late. Perhaps our kids really will be tour bus drivers for the throngs of wealthy Chinese tourists who come to see the remnants of what America used to be. So this year, Santa, ......... what are you gonna do about it?
Comments
Vessel Name: Radiance
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau First456
Hailing Port: Seward, AK
Crew: Mark Ward, Laurence
About:
M [...]
Extra:
Radiance is a German Frers designed Beneteau First456 sloop. She has the deep lead fin keel and tall rig. She competes in the local sailing regattas and had taken top honors in all events on multiple occasions. Laurence and Mark have returned from a 2.5 year blue water cruise that essentially [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/thebigblue/?show=profile
Social:
Radiance's Photos - Main
1 Photo
1
crew
 
1
Seward to Anacortes
50 Photos
Created 20 July 2020
Pics from s/v Radiance visit to Fiji, 2013
71 Photos
Created 22 June 2013
Misc photos from Bay of Islands, New Zealand
49 Photos
Created 18 February 2013
Cruising Bay of Islands and driving about the North Island.
100 Photos
Created 14 January 2013
Opua, Whangarei, Karikari, etc.
39 Photos
Created 4 December 2012
32 Photos
Created 22 November 2012
91 Photos
Created 1 November 2012
49 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
S/V Radiance in Niuatoputapu
12 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
s/v Radiance photos of Fanning
47 Photos
Created 4 October 2012
s/v Radiance Photos of Suwarrow visit
40 Photos
Created 3 October 2012
29 Photos
Created 3 October 2012
Radiance in Palmyra, Aug, 2012
45 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
18 Photos
Created 29 July 2012
Photos beginning May 2012, Departing Seward Alaska - heading south.
12 Photos
Created 10 June 2012