THE ESCAPE

Planning to escape the 9 to 5 environment and visit amazing places by sail boat. Once there, explore both above and below the water.

While Away - Upholstery

Most of the upholstery on the boat was still there, however some items are missing (or I through them out). The still present upholstery is covered in white vinyl which is in good condition. The vinyl provides a good covering however while seated, even for a short time in the heat, caused my legs to sweat (a lot). Placing a doubled-over sheet on top of the vinyl helped a great deal.

The saloon settee is molded fiberglass, and only has the base cushions, the back cushions are missing. The settee bases are not very deep (only 480mm), using a normal back cushion would have reduced the seating area, and I believe this is the reason for them not being present. A back cushion, if used, would need to be thin.

I looked at different sofa designs in shops to get some ideas. One of the sofa's used pillow style cushions along the back, and these pillows were of different thickness to suite the persons seated......it would be possible use the thin pillow concept for the back cushions on the boat.

Next step was to pick a colour scheme for the upholstery, this is not my strong point. Searched through many different photos of settees, but everything is either blue, white, or brown. Wanted something a bit different and picked a coarse woven aqua fabric.

Ordered a metre of the fabric to check suitability. Using the sample material to make a pillow to test out the style and closure design. Wanted to use Velco instead of a zipper (due to corrosion), but didn't want it to make a noise or come open. Carefully marked and cut out the material, taking it to seamstress not far from home. She made it up in minutes and charged just $2.50 IKEA was the source for the insert at just $1.80. The solution worked well and was also appearing to be a very cost effective solution.

Ordered the required amount of material for the back pillows and the cushions. The material arrived in a few days and the cutting out of the fabric began. The living are of the apartment looked like a cross between a sail loft and a tailors shop.

There is storage area under the forward berths, and engines located under the aft berths. To facilitate access the mattresses of all four births are split in the middle. Mattress toppers are needed to cover the resulting grove created by the split. Both the forward and aft berths are trapezoidal in shape. These mattress toppers had to be modified to fit the shape of the berth. Oversize toppers were ordered and cut down to match the mattresses, and then re-edged.

Comments