Sailing South on Solitude

John, Penni & Timmy 2024

The Dog House

This morning seems a long time ago and I can hardly remember where we have come from. Ah yes- St Augustine. Definitely one of my favorite marinas as it was fun exploring St Augustine. There was such a variety of food, I could have eaten every meal out. My favorite place was Kookaburras- not quite British pies, but totally delicious. At $3 a pie, they must have been the best value in the city. I was not looking forward to the departure- not just because of leaving the city, but the tides there are very strong and we had heard it can be hard getting out. John assured me that it would be fine as we were leaving a couple of hours before high tide. The dockhand also helped us turn the boat around so we did not have to reverse out of our spot. I have to say, John handled the boat perfectly and the tide did not seem very strong. Today's trip was full of variety. Mostly easy following the main channel but some shallows where we had to go very carefully. Parts of the ICW were very wide, whilst other parts were narrow. We went through built up areas and some natural areas with palm trees and live oaks - fewer grasses. The water started out the deep brown that we see in South Carolina, but is looking more green now. The temperature could not make up its mind either - we were constantly taking jackets on and off and I even wore shorts for an hour or so. We got to our intended destination- Palm Coast Marina, by around 2 in the afternoon. I had three Amazon packages waiting for me- chopping boards, boat cleaner, and more breakfast shakes. However, the disappointment was that the parts John had ordered for the sail had not arrived. A little galling when he paid over $20 for two day shipping. And the last laugh? The tracking shows that it got to St Augustine at 5 am this morning. So apparently, we were faster than UPS today! Oh well- we had a lovely meal at a local Indian restaurant and decided we will probably wait until Monday for the package to arrive. The marina said they will forward it if needed, but as long as we are comfortable we might as well catch up with some other jobs and hang out here.
Photo from Timmy's favorite store in St Augustine where he was given bacon treats, sausage treats and an apple pie treat.


Comments