Sailing South on Solitude

John, Penni & Timmy 2024

Slowitude

When racing, we are teased (mainly by Mike Roe on Roeboat) of being called Slowitude, or Solitude because it is the last boat all on it’ s own. Your comments today make those jibes seem like complements. This is not a race. We meet lots of motor boaters too(so Brenda and Stan would be in good company if they bring their boat). There are definitely advantages and disadvantages of both. We prefer taking the trip at a walker’s pace- the motor boaters are on a run.The motor boaters see more in some ways and run aground less. We take in the surroundings as we drift by and stop at more places.
Today, we stayed at The Palm Coast marina and met some fellow boaters(sail and motor) who we have seen at other marinas. We all have the same love of adventure, enjoyment of seeing different parts of the country, and a resilience to tolerate the unexpected and inconvenient. While Penni and Timmy did most of the socializing, John was hard at work tracking down another elusive leak. With a new line installed for the water heater there seems to be an improvement - but the water pressure at the kitchen sink is still not what it should be. Lucky John enjoys the boat maintenance as well as the sailing. Timmy and I helped by staying well out of the way as the boat was taken apart and put together again. ‘We’ (John) will address some more jobs tomorrow and hope the sail parts arrive. I have to say I am beginning to feel that cruising life is suiting me very well. Partly due to the advice from Frank and Jenny to wear flip flops in the shower, and partly because sleeping in a bed where you can raise your hand and touch the ceiling now feels cosy rather than claustrophobic. I love the pace of life, exploring new places, planning the next trip, and of course floating down the ICW.


Comments